Universal Steering Wheel Controller issue with my NC 3.5

Hello,
My first foray into this forum so hope someone can help.
I bought my MX-5 a couple of years ago and all was fine. Unfortunately i don’t get to drive it on a daily basis but i started to notice the battery going flat after only a few days. I replaced the battery but the problem persisted.
I knew something was draining the battery but not being technical enough to go through testing individual fuses i took it to my garage who basically identified it as the CP2-UNI and pulled it out.
Now the battery’s fine but i do like having my volume control on the steering working and was wondering if maybe the CP2 was faulty and if i could get it replaced with a good working unit. My garage is way too busy and discouraged me from putting it back or spending time on it for some reason. Has anyone else had a similar problem and could recommend a good garage in/near north London that would do the job properly?

Thanks
Sol

Welcome Sol!

Not heard of your prroblem before. I had an audio problem with our Mk3 and got a cheap one off e8ay BUT it made no differecne to my original problem (it turned out to the head unit).

Anyway - you may want to contact Connects2 to see of they can help. They were very good with my many quesitons of late.

There is a support page on their drop down menus
https://connects2.com/

My intial thoughts were that it might be wired incorrectly, and wired to a permanant live instead of a switched on.
However, the wiring diagram would indicate that the yellow wire is a permanent live.

I’d be tempted to refit it, wiring the yellow to a switched live instead.
Whats the worst that can happen ?

The steering wheel controls won’t work with the ignition off.

https://www.audiocom.no/media/multicase/documents/2005307-brukermanual-cp2-vag52.pdf

Thanks for the reply. Yes i agree. it’s either a wiring issue or maybe the switch is now faulty and playing up.
i think i’ll have to make a trip to a garage to get this looked into.

cheers.
sk