Unleaded or Super unleaded. NC3,5 2ltr

My 2007 2 litre 5 speed NC runs fine on 95 octane fuel, even for trackdays. My year-old Audi S3 definitely goes best on 97/99 oct though…

1 Like

I had a T2 that me and the then Misses lived in for a year as we worked and travelled around Europe. Sold it for £500 to a dealer when we came back (around 1993/1994), but I see it is still on the road if I do an MOT check. Be worth about twenty times that now. I do wonder if the 2p coin I drilled a hole through to bodge a sliding door repair is still in place or if someone had a good laugh when they fixed it properly.
With things of that vintage, manual timing adjustment was simply a twist of the distributer - so advancing the ignition and running higher octane would add a bit of pep.

1 Like

That camper, 1966 model succumbed to the dreaded rot and needed too much work to keep it on the road.
On the other hand as I moved away from that I purchased a K reg (of the 1971 variety) beetle, that is still on the road when I checked earlier this year.:+1:

Sorry to digress.:-1:

1 Like

Bit of an update.
After using cheaper stuff (Various) I do reckon the expensive stuff is better. The engine feels better, but I don’t think it makes any difference to MPG.
I’ll keep to the cheap stuff then, treat it to some “Super” every few fill-ups.
Rick.

I can guarantee if you send someone else out to fill your car up and not tell you what’s in it you would not be able to tell.
Placebo effects 75% of MX5 drivers.

1 Like

But you can’t hide the (very) slight, cough/splutter when cold…
It certainly doesn’t do that on a couple of fill-ups of Super stuff.
Mind you, that’s about the only thing I’ve noticed…
Anyway, if it makes me feel good, then why not!
Rick.

1 Like

Yep, if it makes you feel better :+1:

1 Like

I always go for the premium fuels, placebo or otherwise. The cost per tank is minimal, and can be offset by walking rather than driving some of the time (two birds, one stone and all :sunglasses:)

2 Likes

My ND gets whatever brand is about when it needs filling and gets pump standard E5. My Eunos runs a lot better on Super Unleaded and seems (?) to prefer Shell if it gets a choice. I am lead to believe (Esso article) that there is no legal requirement to add ethanol to Super Unleaded and the majority of super unleaded fuels are ethanol free.

However unleaded will soon become Unleaded E10 and will be unsuitable for older cars such as my Eunos (without expensive modification) and Super Unleaded will have 5% ethanol added to become Super Unleaded E5. All petrol sold, whatever brand/price is to BS standard and branded petrol often includes detergents or other additives in addition to BS minimum hence the higher price you may be asked to pay.

1 Like

I’ll be able to tell better when doing a better mileage every day. 22 mile round trip and the car has hardly got warm. 58 mile round trip will be better for it and me!

Rick.

Yep, go for the higher octane. I also have an NC 3.5 2lit and it definitely runs a lot smoother on the Ultra.

2 Likes

My NC 3.5 1.8 runs a lot smoother on Momentum 99. as I’ve said before the low mileage I do in it over the year makes little difference to my pocket.

2 Likes