VW Golf 1.4 TSI - slow cold starting

My daily driver is a 2011 VW Golf 1.4 TSI (petrol) which I’ve owned from new and garage serviced in line with the VW service schedule and covered 38000 miles. The car seems to take longer to crank from cold but starts first time - I’m sensing therefore something is on its way out.

The battery was replaced last year so the speed it turns over is fine and the slow start doesn’t repeat itself again until the following day. It only takes a few seconds longer to start from cold but it doesn’t seem right to me and it’s being doing this for about a week now.

There are no fault lights showing on the dash so I’m reluctant to take it in to my local garage at the moment as they may confirm everything is fine given they will be looking at it from the second start onwards which is fine.

Any ideas - thanks. 

Andrew,

Both our 5’s have top-condition Panasonics.

Both of them in colder weather (maybe 3/4 seconds?) crank slower 1st thing next day than in mild weather.

They have acted like that for 15 years, and both I may add are kept under cover.

For the rest of that day they’ll fast crank like good 'uns.

I’m not sure there is much to be concerned about? 

I ain’t no rocket scientist but I’d say cold batteries maybe crank slower for some reason. 

I have had this myself on cars and it is disconcerting. You get used to the expected scenario and it is obvious when something is not quite right.

I know you are not seeing a light on the dash but even so worth just plugging in an OBDII reader just to see if any error codes stored.