Waterproofing new hood?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NB
  2. I’m based near: __Brighton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Hood Proofing

Hi - my first post and thanks in advance of any guidance - Great site BTW but you all know that…

My hood is only a year old - not dirty or stained - I just want to seal/ waterproof it - what do you use ???

I have been advised not to use FABSIL as it contains a solvent and to use a water based sealant - is the Auto Glym kit a favorite ? It comes with cleaner and sealant - I think I just need to use the sealant.

Thanks in advance for any replies and recommendations on what you use

Matt - (brighton)

Thanks Mick

Thanks for your reply Mick

It a canvas (mohair) hood - and new to the car in 2019 - and still looks new. I only bought it last week and as its in such excellent condition and low mileage _ i want to keep it that way

Best

Matt

Fabsil Gold for a ‘cloth’ roof. BUT YOU MUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.
:heart:

I have recently done this in a Mohair Roof and found the best way to apply is to get a lint free cloth and make it damp and apply the waterproofing agent . Be it Fabsil or Renovo, with he cloth all over.

Applying with a brush can leave lines in the finish that are difficult to get out. The cloth method provdes a more even application :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Mal

That’s useful to know

Matt

Just a word of caution on MR’s personal observations regarding Fabsil Gold.
The instructions indicate that the surface must be completely dry. ie no residual H20.
I have always used a brush and have never seen any ‘lines’ in the finish. Again the Fabsil instructions indicate that there should be a continuous ‘wet’ edge during the whole application so you have to be reasonably swift. Immediately after application you have to go over the whole area with a dry microfibre cloth.
As I indicated in CAPITALS it is important to read and follow the instructions exactly when using Fabsil Gold.
As for other products I can not comment constructively as I have never used any of them.
:heart:

1 Like

If you need a product to ‘waterproof’ your hood, you’ve got more problems than a ‘waterproofing’ product will solve.
Not sure where the trend for putting all sorts on Mohair roofs have come from. Try ringing around hood fitters/looking at their websites, and you might see that they are not recommended. A properly fitted Mohair roof don’t leak. And I wonder what you do to the fibers slapping on all sorts of products to get temporary ‘beading’.

Thanks ND appreciate your reply ….

I understood it’s a bit like like tents - the canvas / mohair needs re-proofing once or twice a year

• mine isn’t leaking as such - it’s just preventative maintenance - I see a lot of convertible with scruffy green mould and discolouration -

My last convertible many years ago was a vinyl top on a 1963 MG and that was vinyl.

They don’t leak, unless there’s something wrong with them, but the ones you mentioned probably don’t see love. Washing it regularly and gently with a small amount ULTRA mild ‘detergent’, like Woolite (research ideal wash products to use for the Mohair and tonnes come up with that. Some suggest baby shampoo but it’s got a higher salt content than Woolite…so I read anyway) and you’ll find you keep the green at bay.
I keep mine under a Mazda half/hood cover and it looks like the day it was made. So granted it’s not exposed even thought it lives outside. But I went by research and phoning actual hood fitting places when I got my car and the fibres look like the day it was born.
The waterproofing comes from a rubber underlay, not the top layer.

That’s great information and thanks very for sharing it - I appreciate your time and that of others who have replied too

I will get a half cover as the cars been garaged all it’s life and at least with me it’ll be under a car port so offers some protection.

Thanks again

Matt - Brighton

1 Like

True that it doesn’t leak due to the rubber in the middle of the fabric.

However, depending on the hood, the stitching rots on some aftermarket hoods if not treated.

The waterproofing also stops staining from Bird ■■■■ etc and seems to improve the colour

3 Likes

Thanks again everyone for replies -

I think I may initially go for the “2 pack “ from auto glym. It’s two bottles 1 a mild washing agent to clean and 2 a kinda protectant hand pump spray. On the various product reviews it seems to fare well. There are many not restore a dirty and mildewed hood fabric but as I say - mine is relatively new so that and with a half cover should be looking after it as well as I can.

Best

Matt - Brighton

1 Like

The OE hood material does not have an additional “waterproofing or water repellant” coating added during manufacturer. It relies on the water repellency of the acrylic weave material to bead off water. If kept clean this should last most of the life of the hood, however embedded dirt and other contaminants reduce this effect and additional finishes are often added to try to mimic the original beading properties of soft top roofs which have not been regularly cleaned during their lives. You really need to remove ALL of the ingrained dirt to enable the roof material to do its job properly.

1 Like

There isn’t any original beading properties. Mine and a number of ‘5 owners’ tops have never beaded. Not sure where original beading comes from?

Again, not sure where beading off water comes into it on an ‘untreated’ OEM top? Unless the acrylic weave means the rubber underlayer? They work via a tri system, of the ‘canvas’ top, the waterproof underlayer and of course the inner lining. Drain systems of course too.

As stated, if someone needs a ‘waterproofer’ they’ve more problems than a bottle of 303/Fabsil or whatever.
Also, to the poster who mentioned the AutoGlym pairing. That can be a nightmare with the spray bonding to glass/paintwork etc of not masked properly. For ‘beading’ which seems to be a vogue thing, but isn’t how Mohair roofs work. Try asking those who make or fit them.

I’ve used the Autoglym kit on my ND with good results, but do cover the paint and glass when you spray the protectant on, as it makes a mess.

Yes I have heard Fabsil has too much alcohol in it and can damage the rubber layer.

TBH you don’t want too much beading as when you open the door it all runs off onto the seat and interior.

Half cover is a good idea, I have one, keeps all manner of dirt off the hood on the first place.

Thanks everyone for the very comprehensive and in depth responses to my question

Much appreciated

Matt

Take no notice of what I said, now deleted.

The top material is not canvas, it’s a quite sophisticated acrylic twill weave designed to protect the epdm interlayer and to encourage water to roll off the top when up. On a new hood the water should roll off or be shed from the roof with assistance from gravity. Dirt and other residual material will tend to trap the water and allow it stay on the hood, that’s why it’s important to keep it clean. Applying a waterproofing agent to a dirty roof merely binds the dirt into the fabric making matters worse.

1 Like

Thanks Albien

Very good info and explanation….

Matt

Absolutely zero water, not a single drop, has ‘rolled off’ with the assistance of gravity, from either my 3 miles-on it car when bought, nor, to the best of my knowledge, 3 other owners with new NDs that I know.
It mearly soaks and the rubber layer does it stuff. And it behaves exactly the same way, X amount of years on. Yes it sheds from the roof- via the rubber under layer.
So according to your theory, all 4 of our tops, with, touch wood, are leak free, must have had something wrong with them lol

Hey other posters who had their car from new, and never put ‘waterproofing’ treatments on your hood; When new, did your hood bead like a nutter and see the water all rolling off, or, like every other new ND I’ve k ow, including my own, did your just get wet and dry?