Wax on black trim

1. My model of MX-5 is: __3.5 Kendo
  2. I’m based near: __Lancashire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Removing wax stains from plastic trim__

Hi all, after some help on removing wax stains from the plastic window scuttle on the front.They are not too bad,but i know they are there. Thanks in advance for any help. Chris.

Is there wax residue still on there or just staining?

I wonder if some proprietary bumper black product worked into the plastic with something like an old toothbrush might do the trick? :thinking:
Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe away excess blackening product.
I’ve always had reasonable results with Autoglym bumper care but there are many ranges of car car products on the market and all more or less do a similar job.

Hth

Cheers,
Guy

P.s. please let us know how you get on. :+1:

A rubber (eraser), very good at taking wax off trim. I bought a box of 20 a few year’s ago, useful to have on hand.

3 Likes

Neat trick. Thanks for the tip Ian :+1:

1 Like

Have a search for ‘Pink Sheen’ on eBay. AutoBrite and Spotless brands are good. Great for cleaning any plastic trim. Even disguises minor scuffs and scratches. Spray a little on a microfibre cloth and wipe the surface down. Doesn’t leave anything too matt or too shiny.

Try Carplan Black Trim wax , it gets all black trim a rich Black again with one thick coat applied with a microfibre cloth or similar, and then a buff up.

Ideally you need to remove the wax residue, rather than try to put a product over it in an attempt to hide it.

“Squid Ink” all purpose cleaner, scrubbed on with a nail brush, followed by their plastic sealant, will do a very good job.

I have just ordered these to try. Thought it may be a good idea to try something like this.

1 Like

With some help from Mr Stanley.:grinning:

2 Likes

Another vote for an eraser, works perfectly with no marking and no damage. No need for expensive chemicals.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replies.I have tried most of the back to black type products,but to no avail,so i willnow be trying the eraser method and will report back with my findings.

3 Likes

Look for an Autosmart van they are the vans that go round to all the car valet (detailers ) hate that American title , anyway get some finishing touch from them I found it takes wax of off plastic and dresses it with a nice not to shiny sheen it works on tyres and dosnt matter if it goes on the paint

Have you tried WD40, this is fantastic for all plastic trim.

Yep, WD40 can be used to shift residue sometimes. Also some glass cleaners such as Autoglym Fast Glass can be good. And the pencil eraser as mentioned by others.