Waxoyltreatment

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk2
  2. I’m based near: __liverpool
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: waxoylundertreatmentcentres_
    Hello all,
    I am a new member. Bought my mk2 recently, it is the first car I am not embarrassed by and I would like to keep it that way. I have been looking in to rust prevention and I am wondering if anyone has used any of the ‘waxoyltreatmentcentres’ around the country and if they can recommend them. My nearest is in Warrington. Price quoted is about £380.
    Any help much appreciated,
    JohnH

protecting it is important - they are poorly protected from new and so investigating what is there, treating it, and then protecting it is good.

Waxoyl has been around for years and does an ok job, but there are many better products available nowadays which are less messy, better at converting rusty parts back to more like metal, and better at preventing more corrosion. Each have their own proponents, but I’d use Bilt Hamber just over Dinitrol, and these well before I’d use waxoyl. But waxoyl is far preferable to nothing. Just remember it can cover up a lot of issues that won’t go away, so ensure you sort out any rust parts early - minor corrosion can be converted using a runny liquid to get into all the crevices.

It’s perfectly doable yourself, and the newer products are much less messy than waxoyl too. Ideally you’ll need a compressor and axle stands. Cheaper (even if you have to buy a cheap compressor), and you know you have done the job properly. Some of the professionals are excellent, some are terrible - I have no recommendations to make for you unfortunately, but see what others think online about the place you plan to go to…

1 Like

Your first objective should be an honest evaluation of any corrosion by someone who knows what they are looking at if you haven’t done this already.

Assuming the car is clean and has no obvious rot problems then you can consider what product to protect the underside with.

1 Like

have you checked your chasis rails in the engine bay?

Lots of, ahem, interestnin videos here for your Mk2

1 Like

There are far far better products on the market now , but regardless of the product used for the underneath and cavity wax, if its applied on top of rust or is not prepped correct you will be wasting your money and solving nothing , plus it does need to be checked every 12 months, because it is not a ultimate cure to stopping rust, its about controlling it.
M-m

think that’s what I said! Agree it needs proper prepping, but some of the products are good at creeping into hard to reach places and dealing with some of the rust there… so the cleaner the better (wire brush/flap wheel on drill-type clean) but pristine isn’t critical. Well worth doing well.

1 Like

Hello xcentric,
Sorry for delay in replying, I don’t have the internet at home just now. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Very useful advice, much appreciated.
JohnH

Hello IanH,
Thanks for responding. Appreciate the help.
JohnH

Hello Mazda mender,
Amazed at how many responses I’ve had. Mazda owners are obviously good people.
Thank you.
JohnH

1 Like

Late to the party here but must say this is the best forum I’ve ever had the pleasure of being part of.

100% agree with professional inspection to ensure you don’t go throwing good money at a car that won’t give you the necessary returns! I had my mk3 under sealed and rust removed as priority #1 before spending out on the nice to haves. Well worth it imo if you intend to keep the car for a while!

I’m in the South East so can’t recommend any local places to you but I recall paying about £450-500 about 5 years ago at MX5 Restorer on the South Coast. They did a great job!