Weight saving

Hi all I’m new here and I’m sure this has been covered already but I can’t find the thread so please forgive me.

ive purchased a mk1 eunos 1.6l with my girlfriend as a joint project to make a drift/sleeper car from it 

im very handy with doing my own work and looking to save as much weight as possible even to the extent of cutting out sheet metal which isint structural and replacing with fibreglass parts 

my question is simple I know you can get fibreglass wings/boot/bonnet but what else besides interior/AC/glass/window regs/locks/seat belts can I remove 

my goal is 800kg I have heard it’s possible and before anyone asks I’m putting in roll bars / harnesses and bucket seats too 

please any help is much appreciated 

I know the boot and bonnet on a 2.5 are aluminium, so not too heavy. The easiest weight loss in a car is for the occupants to slim, unless you are already svelt (humour intended, not offence.

Haha thanks but let’s assume I’m as slim as I’m ever gunna be and move towards harder areas to loose weight

Bonnet is ally, but the boot lid is thin pressed steel. Immediate weight saving would be throw out the passenger seat (and passenger) - but this may upset your girl friend. Fibreglass wings, bonnet and boot lid I’ve not heard of, but you say you can get them. Bear in mind the body is a monocoque construction and welded, so not easily replaced with fibreglass. Also in the event of a rollover (a distinct possibility in drifting I would say) steel may bend, but fiberglass shatters. So does carbon fibre - watched F1 lately? You need a roll cage (heavy, something to consider)

However, you’ve set your course, so happy sailing.

I don’t like f1 no lol but point taken I agree about the roll bar bending but one of the main no no,s from the boss is that she wants to keep the soft top to put down. Am I right in saying a full cage would eliminate the use of it?

I’m aware the chassis and body are integrated as one it does make my life harder but surely the recessed spare wheel space in boot is not structural and I can cut out ?

I think you misunderstood me about a roll bar, I didn’t say it would bend, but I suggested a roll cage if you went the fiberglass route, as there’s nothing between you and severe injury in the event of a roll over, and there’s always doubt about what the fibreglass will do.

Frankly, I doubt you’ll get much advice on here, why not try Driftworks, or send a PM to NickD, who knows those guys. I have to say I admire the skill and control of them, but I’d never do what they do myself, the car was made to enjoy driving, not to be thrown around, but owners can and do differ, that’s their prerogative.

The main weight savings are in taking out all the comfortable stuff, so power steering, most of the engine covers, roof, heater and the associated water volume, door mechanisms, windows etc. Carpets weigh a surprising amount. Replacing wings with fibre glass will probably gain you weight, doors, due to the extra stuff in them are heaver. The rest is about talking stuff from behind bumpers and the like. 

However, before you start doing all this, you will make the car far less able to sustain an impact safely and also you are chasing diminishing returns. It is not a terribly heavy car to start with. The race cars are 960Kg with driver and 2l fuel. Some are ballasted up by as much as 30Kg, so about 870Kg, howver even at that there is no creature comforts left and certainly no roof. 

How to save over 300lbs:
http://www.lightweightmiata.com/beast/lightness/

Thanks guys you’ve all been really helpful

The car is nice and I want to enjoy it but safety is definatly important to me so il have to look into a cage I think

Never thought the fibreglass wings would be heavier but spose it’s possible

Hi,

i have to agree with Nick,

our track cars are a little lighter then the race cars at 850kg but they are not road legal. No roof, lights, power steering etc. Even the wire-ring loom has been cut back to a minimum And the boot is just a carbon skin.

the standard wings are really light. I was going to make some fibreglass ones until I weighed them.