What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

Mines lowered by 45mm… struggles with central speed bumps and I can’t get it on my parent‘s drive anymore… but it looks awesome! 

To keep it on topic: I gave mine a clean and polish, then cleaned and hooverd the interior. Not very often I get to give it a good going over. 

I went with Eibach 30mm springs, maybe could have gone with 35mm.  But happy with the result.

-30 on mine and as low as I would go. With the two of us on board (and we’re not overly big fatties),it rides low enough for my tastes.

Mine was also lowered by Roddisons 30mm but since had MeisterR’s fitted by him and set to around the same height.

Car with the lowering springs pre Meisters.

Washed, polished, buffed and vacuumed ready for Sunday. Hope it is dry on the day otherwise I’ve wasted a lot of time.

Job done.  Clean discs, new Brembo pads, and painted calipers fitted.

I reused the unmarked Mazda shims because the Brembo shims had a less good match to the contact points for piston and caliper.

The piston winder kit from Az had a 4pin adaptor to wind the piston, perfect.  I was prepared for a struggle, but they were dead easy and smooth, with just a touch of brake fluid to lubricate the boot-to-piston seal of the bellows. 

Robbie’s guide in the Downloads is excellent, torque settings very helpful.  The only addition I’ve made was to apply fresh Loctite blue thread-lock to the bolts to keep any future rust out.

The discs before

Cleaned outer faces, about 10 thou taken off the worst one (L below, R above), the other three faces just needed an emery block, and the new pads will do the rest for me so long as I keep it dry…

Cleaned inner faces

A freshly painted caliper assembled to the hub that had the worst disc

Wheel on and all tightened up.

1 Like

Tried changing the dipped beam bulbs.  Best to have a practice run at these things while the car is clean and you don’t actually need to do the job.  Anyway, on a Mk3.75, with the more angular headlamps, it’s not possible from underneath with my size hands - the owners’ manual is probably still talking about a Mk3 as it also gives the wrong instructions for the type of wheel arch fasteners.

It’s easier from above; I could just about manage as it is, but moving the washer bottle and fuse box an inch would make things a lot easier.  This seems to be a preferred method by owners anyway.  Ran out of time tonight but will have a go in the week.

Bulbs now changed. Driver’s side trivially easy once you swing the washer bottle out of the way. Passenger side is a total nightmare. Fuse box can barely be moved so you have to ignore the pain and go in through the wheel arch. Biggest problem was hooking the spring clip back “blind” and at an odd angle - there’s a real knack to this, which took me two evenings to figure out. Osram longlife bulbs fitted. I don’t want more light but I do want never to do the n/s bulb again! It’s a terrible design.

Spent all day cleaning mine after the Spring Rally

Work in progress.

YES!!!  That looks really nice Mick? Youve got a great finish on the dash decor panel? I bet you’re very pleased? 

Barrie

Wire brushed and painted the whole chassis with Underseal, wire brushed and black painted front & rear subframes and all suspension components, fitted Goodridge hoses all round, cleaned and painted all brake disc back plates then painted the calipers & mounting brackets red, to complete the look, the next job is to refurbish & paint the wheels and then clear lacquer. I’ll post some pics when finished, bloody hard work but I’ve absolutely loved every minute of it 

^^^ Notice the blingy bit under that decor panel Barrie?

Still a work in progress, it was a test fit, the B&Q special.

Yes I did Mick. TBH I thought I’d seen something similar on mx5Parts and just thought that’s what it was? Looks good? 

Barrie

Started up my 93 Mk1 this morning.

Now the 2002 Sport has had all the money chucked at it that it requires…funds available to turn attention to the “proper” Roadster in the family. 

I’ve not been kind to it. In fact, it’s been in it’s lock up for nearly 2 years without seeing day light, or being turned over.

Naturally, the Westco was goosed. 4 tyres flat, and the interior has taken on an “old church” odour.

All the discs are shot, and I doubt I’d even consider refurbing the existing calipers. 

There will be a good few nasties underneath, but I knew that, to include sills/rear wings.

You can barely tell it’s colour (BRG) thanks to roof damage I was not aware of. 

On  the plus, it had had a host of bits done including a low miles 1840cc mill from AK Automotive, new rad, this that 'n another.

I filled the tank to the neck when I “abandoned” it, and changed the oil with some fresh but cheap stuff with a cheapo filter. That wont be there for long.

Off we went to a local scrapper, got a 40amp Yuasa battery out a recent write off, paid a tenner, and connected it with jump leads as it wont fit really.

Why? Well, bottom line was…if the mill was seized or sick, say blowing gaskets, then the car would be offski.

However…1 turn…all dash electrics light up. Ignition on…blub…blub…blub blub. Cough.

2nd turn…blub blub…cough blub blub…cough cough.

This is promising.

3rd /4th turn, much the same.

5th turn…Houston…we have lift off. 

Warmed it up for 15 minutes, underbonnet stuff all behaving. No leaks, mayo, nothing. Colling fan comes on. Lovely jubbly.

Let it tick over, which it does for 30 mins at 750/780 rpm quite happily. Time to give some. Sat for ten mins with between 2krpm to 5k…still bang on. 

I think it’s trying to tell me something…in which case…total refurb bottom up.

It’ll take till this time next year…it will be done properly. And on with the next 186,000 miles.

It just does not want to die. Poor wee S.O.D.  

This week,full leather refurb,black quilted with red stiching by seatsurgeon of York.Calibres painted also this week.

This thread is worthless without pics !!! 

Fitted Cobalt exhaust, which looks much better with the Mazdaspeed rear diffuser, than the standard exhaust did.

Sounds great too, nice little burble and slightly louder but certainly not OTT, just a sportier note to it.

Many thanks to to my good friend for Micky for helping me out

(incidentally you should check out his MX150R race car build, its really stunning and quick! http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/9299/rebuilding-mx150r)

cobalt exhaust fitted

Also many thanks to mr two.

Certainly looks good Paul.

However, I’ve read many conflicting views on the Cobalt exhaust on this forum.  Some people agree with you that it just sounds a little more sporty, with a satisfying burble, but not overly intrusive, but others have described it as a ‘Fart Can’ - not totally sure what they mean by that !

I guess for someone who might be contemplating this move, it might be a good idea to listen to a 5 fitted with one, before investing in what is after all, a rather expensive purchase.

Had my mk4 Artic edition first service only done 3.000 miles serviced  in Mazda and ended up part ex it already for the pearl white sport nav RF In the showroom lol I just love the RF in this coulour should be ready for pick up on 14th may