What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 2)

Thanks.

Have ordered a pair at £25.00 Inc postage.

Same price as the Cobalt bushes from Moss but they want a rather steep £8.00 for postage

Re-fitted my 25mm hub centric spacers after removing them for track activity at Anglesey last Wednesday. We’re back in road “Stance” mode now… :muscle:

6 Likes

Do you have any photos of the wiring please @Jeff_jthspace ?

I’ve had this part sat in my garage for a few months now and have been worried about tapping into the wires.

Dropped off at the garage to get a quote to do the fixes and welding required for an MOT. Fingers crossed its not too bad :frowning:

1 Like

Didn’t take any but here are the instructions which show the wires to tap into.

Installation Guide

It’s not difficult! I used a sharp blade to carefully remove the fabric wrap around the wires and then rewrapped with normal insulation tape afterwards.

However, you may have a couple of the door clips break off so I used a glue gun to put them back in the door card and it worked perfectly.

1 Like

That’s unfortunate. What are your plans now?

After my discovery yesterday that a previous owner had installed a decat mid pipe with no resonator, I measured the diameter of it as I suspected it wasn’t stock. I was right, but rather than it being larger, it’s smaller - who does that? Did they just use whatever bit of pipe was lying around?

I believe stock is 60mm or 2 3/8”, but this pipe is 57mm or 2 1/4”. I’ve ordered a mid pipe repair section from MX5Parts so I can have a resonator again but I don’t know if the sleeve on it will squash down to the smaller pipe size. If it doesn’t work I’ll just have to buy a reducer.

Fixed my PRHT with help from forum members.

2 Likes

Aww, man. That sucks. Mine is going in soon for its first MOT in a few years (SORN since the family grew by one) and I’m hoping that I don’t fall into this category… :neutral_face:
Do you have any plans to pick up anything in its place?

Thanks, I will give it a go soon as I find it annoying having to mess around when the car is parked with roof down.

I read that there are some curveballs with a right hand drive car but fro, your right up, there wasn’t anything to worry about.

@Jitsuka @Bvfraser I’m sitting on it for a week as the MOT isn’t due until mid-June, and I have a few options including second opinions, but I’m stuck in the “invest more so as not to waste the existing investment” & “throwing good money after bad” quandary. If I do get rid that’ll be it for MX-5s for a good while as this was an unexpected opportunity I would otherwise not have been able to afford, so it’s quite a decision.

Managed to get my horns working. I removed my dodgy connectors and replaced them with female spade types. I also unscrewed the ground connections and sanded them to bare metal, so thank you to @999to5, @Scarletpimpernel and @Roadie for all your suggestions.

1 Like

Good news on that. :+1:

1 Like

Well done that man :slight_smile:

How do they sound??

Rust and rustproofing almost done. Collect the car on Friday. Will be great to get back in it again

1 Like

VERY loud! So loud I haven’t given them a proper blast, just a parp to confirm they work. The next time I’m in the middle of nowhere I’ll give it laldy and report back. One horn is a low tone while the other is high. They sound very urgent together.

4 Likes

Apologies if I have missed it, which ones have you got? I reckon others will ask too. :+1:

1 Like

Strut brace powder coated :+1:t3::white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Finished measuring the valve clearance on my NB 1.6. I need to fit new shims. Can someone remind me who to contact about borrowing the special tool for removing the old shims please?