What have you done to your MX-5 today? (Part 1)

MOT and service today complete with new front coil spring, £350.

Did my first DIY bit on a car today, my son bought me some JVC speakers from MX5 parts for my birthday to beef up the originals in my MK3.

I watched a couple of you tube video’s first.
Removing the door card was ok until trying to unclip the tweeter cable, I couldn’t do it, so a top tip, I got a bungee looped it around the door handle and hooked on the top of door. Worked a treat. Trouble was then soldering the cables together, so I bodged it and twisted wires together, then electrical tape…if they separate will have to try again… properly. I only partly damaged one door clip, and was reusable, maybe a good bet is to buy some before removing cards in future, I think I was lucky, was really slow pulling card off

My son says they sound much better…we shall see, firing guns in my yoof has not left me with great hearing, but I’m pleased

Oh got it dirty with a quick sprint across Salisbury Plain yesterday (essential journey to recharge battery :slight_smile: )

Fitted LED side repeaters and removed them as they are poor fit. Ebay specials.

1 Like

That’s interesting, I did exactly the same. Poor quality poor fit. Put them both on then immediately took them off.

1 Like

It is fiddly getting at those tweeter connections. Tip, unscrew the tweeter from the door card, 3 small screws to undo, less hassle than trying to get at the connection juggling with the door card in the other hand.

New (to me) Cobalt backbox, Eibach lowering springs and IL Motorsport 25mm spacers fitted plus an fast road alignment at BLiNK Motorsport :smiley:

I got so frustrated with the tweeter connectors I simply snipped them off.
The general consensus is they only harm the sound, so nothing lost.

I used the recommended ebay Ford Focus adapters between the JVCs and existing connectors.
Saved a lot of hassle.

Any photos showing the car with the 25mm spacers on ??

25mm spacers…

1 Like

They will be taken today, I decided the lighting at midnight wouldn’t be very helpful :joy:

1 Like

Wheels removed for powder coating and drivers side sill replacement

2 Likes

Mk3.5, what was the issue with sill? Was it corrosion :thinking:
Barrie

As promised:

Original

Eibach Lowering Springs with 25mm IL Motorsport Spacers

I made the most of some twisty country lanes after my Cobalt back box was fitted, hence the mud :angel:

Big thank you to @BLiNK_Motorsport for fitting everything and the fast road alignment

Typically, just as I finished taking those photos, it started raining so I couldn’t fit the other mods I have lined up (Sound Tube Delete and Sequential Rear Indicators) :frowning: they will just have to wait for another day

I did however have a chance to install a Centre Console Storage Box LED Light

3 Likes

Excellent compare and contrast photo sets of a very smart car @ian.prossor :grin:

I had decided against wheel spacers but I’m tempted again and now a centre console light too :see_no_evil:
Thnx.

Hi barrie no corrosion, before i bought the car somebody had jacked it up on the plastic sill and cracked it all so i got a new one off ebay(wrong colour) and the wheel refurb guys also do bodywork so they are going to paint it for me and fit the decal

1 Like

Aah right, that is good news :+1::+1: I reckon I’m becoming paranoid about rust! :rofl: used to be the mk1’s then the tin worm moved onto mk 2’s, now mk3’s, whats next?
Barrie

Today I finally bit the bullet and took Roxy (My Mk1 Eunos) into EMP Performance in St Albans, Hertfordshire for a custom built cat-back exhaust. Have to say I am really impressed with it so far. I went for a burnt blue tip which I think looks great and went for their “mid-sport plus” sound package (which they said was about a 6or7/10 on the loud spectrum). Unfortunately its been one of the wettest days in a while here so I haven’t had much of an opportunity to drive it, but from the drive back it sounded just right - not too loud that it would be annoying but still loud enough to have a good sporty note to it. Hopefully if its a bit dryer tomorrow I’ll take her out and try and get some good photos for you guys.

P.S. I know I tried to do a lot of research into custom exhausts and exhausts in general, and having dealt with EMP I have to say they were brilliant. If anyone wants any advice or a reference on them am happy to say they were great (+ a lifetime guarantee on the exhaust sounds brilliant).

1 Like

Fitted the Sound Tube Delete and Sequential Rear Indicators I planned to fit yesterday before the heavens opened :smiley:

Shout out to @Jeff_jthspace for his detailed posts on fitting both (ND - Sound Tube delete and ND - Sequential Indicators), made it a breeze :slight_smile:

Sound Tube Delete

That first picture does make the battery look a bit exposed in the engine bay…

Sequential Rear Indicators
Comparison Video
After Video

There was one casualty though :frowning: I did the right light unit first and it was quite stubborn which resulted in me catapulting the left unit off the car when I freed that on up :confused:

I have the chip so will get around to gluing it at some point

1 Like

Shame about your flying n/s lamp but good you can repair it.
I happened to be looking at the Flyin Miata video yesterday and I think they mentioned not detaching the loom before taking the lamp out, that way it would check any unintended rapid egress of said lamp. Once the lamp is loose the loom is unclipped and lamp can be removed in a measured manner. https://youtu.be/GgtIF931RXE