What is the best MX5 to buy?

Yes I know what you mean… That’s why I’m so torn. I am originally a mechanic by trade many yeas ago 70s/80s. My heart says old but my brain says 2015 ish MX5… Many thanks for your help.

1 Like

:grin::+1::joy: Very good… I think!

Interesting comment reagrdijg the GT6 which was my 2nd car I purchased, (could not afford a TR6). Many (many) years later a work collegaue turned up with one and I asked for “a go”…what a dissapointment…truly awful…it’s never good to go back!

I like the older models but the rust bothers me. :wink:

Yes I agree electric power steering :rage:. I think I need to drive a few. :wink:

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

That sounds like good advice… Many thanks. :+1:

I’ve had a 2011 Sport Black for 8 years now.
Completely standard and being an ex motorcyclist, does exactly what I want. Corners well on the Bilstein’s, Limited Slip Diff, Cruise Control…etc, etc.
Fuel consumption? I’m not bothered about that.:grin:

1 Like

They all have their merits, NA will always be seen by the motoring press as original & best (like the mk1 Golf GTI) but that chassis had 16 years of development & improvements before the very last of the NB2’s which is essentially the same car underneath. Similarly the last of the NC’s had much improvements over the launch editions from 2005/6. Try as I might I don’t fit in an ND :frowning:

The best bog standard MX5 I ever drove was a mk2 RS, the most practical everyday would be a late mk3 with PRHT.

2 Likes

Many thanks. :+1:

Interesting comment about GT6 above as both my wife and I find the view out of the ND reminds us of our various Spitfires (no 6 cylinder “power bulge”).

I am sure any MX chosen will please the chooser; in my case I wanted something new or virtually new with manufacturer warranty so it was a choice of NDST or NDRF.

1 Like

Daft question, a “pop up”.

Yes I liked the RF but it’s heavier and with the possibility of going wrong. :wink:

The headlights on the NA pop up out of the bonnet when in use. Great fun but can go wrong and very dangerous to pedestrians, so illegal on new car designs.

1 Like

…love the look of the RF, but after a test drive we preffered the soft top when the roof is down, which it is for 95% of the time. Also soooo easy to lower / raise the soft top on an ND, (not that the mk2 was that much trouble!)

I guess everbody will have their own “favourite” which is why you need to try them all. We started of with a Mk1, but to be honest it was that long ago I have forgotten what it was like. Also, for me the looks have lost there original appeal. We had a Mk 2.5 for 17 years and initially I preffered the looks of the Mk1, but now I prefer the looks of the mk2(?).

Also the mk2 seemed a bit more refined + had power steering. Was going to get a mk 3 / 3.5 as really liked the tin top. Also a bit more spacious for touring.

However just as we were contemplating getting one they brought out the mk4, and for me I loved the mk4 styling. Tried both a 2 ltr and the 1.5 which we ended up with as it seems to have plenty of power for the way I drive (slowly).

Downside is a lack of space compared to the Mk2, (and no spare wheel), but we got a boot bag for longer trips. Plus side is 50+mpg…each to their own I guess…

1 Like

So are cars driven by drunk drivers or those high in drugs, what a daft comment.

??? Don’t understand.

3 Likes

I think arfardaley is referring to the comment above re pop up headlights?

That’s what I thought, but it makes no sense to me.

You are not alone!
No idea what he means. :thinking: