What is your most over-rated or over-hyped LP.......?

Indeed.

In reality, he was a posh public-school boy

1 Like

So he was the real deal, a genuine fake! :grin: :crazy_face:

1 Like

My missus had that album, each to their own but I couldn’t see the point.
I wound her up and asked when are they going to sing when she played it. :grin:

Funny how your music tastes change over the years. We both loved Meatloaf as mentioned above but actually can’t stand him now. Same with Lionel Ritchie, we once went to see the Commodores live but now, a no no.

still love early Meatloaf studio albums, but his live stuff is ■■■■ :poop: :poop:

I was never into Pink Floyd when I was younger, but have got more into them in the last few years. Dark Side is very good, but I prefer Wish you Were Here but my favorite is Division Bell, although I also like Animals too.

Never really got the Beatles

Love Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell was an album I grew up with and listened to it so much and still love it now…

Overdrive you are a heretic, that’s like someone saying they don’t like mx-5s!!

Anyway, when I was younger (so much younger than today) some people thought it cool to hate the Beatles (too establishment) and idolise the Rolling Stones instead (the bad boys), I suspect many changed their minds as they got older though, when they weren’t so bothered what other people thought. I liked them both then and still do today.

1 Like

Very good :+1:

2 Likes

Each to their own, which is why music is so great.
FWIW I didn’t go much on the Stones either :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Indeed. I don’t listen to much current music and don’t recognise any of the bands you listed. With a pretty wide musical taste I expect I’m missing out on some good stuff.

Try an Album called Dub Side of The Moon by Easy Start All Stars , its a Reggae tribute album and makes a fab alternate cover version of the original.

For me one that I have never been able to ‘get’ was Metal Box by PiL , tried and tried but just doesn’t work for me,

Glad I’m not the only one who finds the Beatles over rated

1 Like

Bought the double CD of Sign O’ The Times by Prince recently, know he’s a genius and all that but to me he could have kept it to 1 CD and it still would have been too long.

There, I’ve said it…

1 Like

Me too - a Chuck Berry covers band that wrote some good stuff early on (With The Beatles) then discovered drugs and wrote lots of rubbish.

And Paul McCartney is an irritating jingle-writer…

I still listen to a lot of newer stuff - hip-hop mainly but some rock as well

The great thing about music streaming is I can go and find it and play it within moments - a really different take on it - and actually very good. The original songs are a good start.

Have you tried Hayseed Dixie? They are a blue grass band that do AC/DC and other similar type tracks - they do a great version of Comfortably Numb - one of the best songs ever…
Hayseed Dixie - Comfortably Numb, Manchester Academy 3,19th Nov 2013 - Bing video

Never got the Beatles? I tend to agree the White Album is a bit contrived but the early stuff is pure musical classic. Simple and yet does what ever song should do. Makes you just want to sing along.

2 Likes

Totally agree! You really had to experience the arrival of the Beatles (and the other groups) to really appreciate their impact on the music scene, which had become very bland at the start of the '60’s. I saw the arrival of Rock 'n Roll in the '50’s and by the end of the decade it was dying. Most of the big names had gone, and what was left were solo singers or vocal groups, solo instrumentalists or instrumental groups. What the Beatles and others brought was the return of the groups that wrote their own material and played instruments, a la “The Crickets”. I’ve been very lucky, being born in the early '40’s I’ve seen all the major changes in popular music.

2 Likes

I think some of their music is quite good, but I agree with Countryboy - there was a cultural shift that those of us coming later missed, so you just listen to the music - out of context with what was going on at the time.

I grew up in the1980’s and the music you heard in your formative years will always be closest to your heart. That and the music from the 80’s was just the best!

The advantage of being in the here and now is that you can enjoy all this great music from all decades, as they all produced some classic songs. a golden age indeed - fortunately as there is not that much great music nowadays - a few, but not many…

1 Like

Couldn’t agree with you more there Countryboy. I loved ELP’s Trilogy album especially the title track but Tarkus did very little for me. I also agree with you about “The Dark Side Of the Moon”. I think that the Floyd have produced some much better stuff.

I also somehow acquired a copy of Paul McCartney 11 (two). Absolute drivel. Gave it away.

1 Like

Confession time.

As a kid I prided myself on my Akai 4000DS reel to reel tape machine. Used it to make a fine recording of Pink Floyd’s ‘Wish you were here’. I could never get into it and considered it repetitive and boring.

It was only some years later when I bought the CD that I heard the tunes on ‘side 2’, I recorded ‘side 1’ twice onto the Akai!

oh hum…

6 Likes