What mileage should I be more wary at?

Hi all.

It’s time to replace the MK2 and return to either a MK1 or go for a MK3. I have a couple of options I am interested in which are at the same price point - both are structurally solid.

The first is a MK1 with 160,000 miles on the clock. It is a 1.6 import.
The second is a MK3 with 110,000 miles on the clock. it is a 2.0 Sport

I have had several MK2 and MK1’s in the past and I know the 1.6 engine is pretty much bullet proof if you look after it and keep on top of the water pump / belts (which this one has). My question however is around the MK3 as I have never owned one, the engine is much more modern in comparison to my old 1989 lumps and as such, not sure what to be mindful of / what’s realistic to achieve.

The MK1 would be the highest mileage car I would have owned, but as said, structurally sound, sills sorted etc.

1 Like

Drive them both and see which one makes you smile more. That’s how I solved my NB vs NC dilemma!

(NB owner)

The mk1 been an import will be in Km so 160,000 = 100,000 miles

You have to drive them both before making a decision. I drove 3 before I decided. All were within 5,000 miles on the clock.
All sounded different and drove differently as well.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure I’ll love both. For me it’s more the question of how good those 2.0 engines are in the NC where mileage is concerned. What;s the common issues to look and listen for?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.