What new carplay stereo and reversing cam to get?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ NC3.75 25th anniversary
  2. I’m based near: __SE Hampshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Stereo

As the title, my OH has offered to pay for a new stereo and reversing cam to be fitted for my birthday. I’d like one with carplay (current setup is the standard 6 speaker Alpine) and preferably wifi but I do already have a USB fitted as standard.

1. What have you all got?
  2. What was the cost?
  3. Did you fit it or have it fitted?
  4. Can I reuse the fitted USB?

Thanks in advance

In my NC1, I installed a Sony XAV-AX3005DB DAB unit for the Android Auto feature, but I believe also supports CarPlay. This has Bluetooth that syncs well with my Huwai phone. The USB lead I’ve fed through into the cup holder between the seats.

Fits nicely into the Connects2 CTKMZ02 fascia kit that can be found online. Also comes with the leads required to connect to steering wheel controls. Mine is the Bose varient of the car, so another lead and it works very well.

As for reversing camera, I haven’t got round to that yet, but this unit does support one. I can’t provide any advice there, but will be getting one soon enough too.

Overall, including the fitting kit and the unit, and the DAB aerial and a few leads it probably cost about £500. I fitted myself to save a few quid, and there are some very helpful guides on here as to how to do so. Most difficult part being to get the unit back into the recess with all the additional wiring. That’s one of the reasons I went for the Sony unit, as its a little more compact than some of the alternatives out there.

1 Like

Thanks Adam - will look at this!

So just an update to this - in the end I didn’t fancy spending days off fitting myself so I got a local car audio garage to install this pioneer SPH- DA250DAB. £500 all in and I’m very happy with it!

2 Likes

Looks great!! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Sorry, newbie question. Has that fitted in the standard Sanyo Satnav Facia? I was told it was a none standard double din and I’d have to replace mine when I change the head unit.

Looks great by the way.

1 Like

Really sorry but that’s a no from me.

Hi Adam

I will shortly be installing a Sony unit, the same a yours, in my NC and was just wondering if you had any issues removing the window pillar covers. I have seen a few you tube videos on how to do it but am concerned about the retaining clips did any of them break? The last thing I want is for the cover not to back securely.

Hi Jopa,

I had exactly the same fear as you do. I was very careful in prying them off, but mine popped off without too much effort. They went back on and lined up well too, so you really can’t tell they’ve been off. I’d recommend getting black tape to help stick the wire to the pillar underneath the cover. I initially used white tape but noticed that you could see it a little once the pillar was refitted. So had to pull off and use black tape, where it blended nicely into the background/shadows.

I also followed a couple of YouTube videos for all elements of the fitting. Found these particularly helpful for the centre console bit, where the screws are, etc. I also had a lot of pointers and great guidance from members on this forum.

When are you planning on starting the fitting? Good luck and will do my best to help troubleshoot if you get stuck.

Cheers, Adam

2 Likes

Hi Adam

Thanks for getting back to me and for the advice. Weather permitting I will be at it next Friday/Saturday. I am also planning to feed the cables for, the dash cam, up the side pilar and across behind the sun visor. Fingers crossed.

Regards
John

Hopefully the weather holds out.

There’s something quite satisfying about doing these bits yourself :grinning:

Will let you know how it turns out.