What to do with my AVN2

Hi all … I have fairly recently become the owner of a 2014 Sport Venture edition with the Power Retractable Hardtop.

Once I started trying out the AVN2 I found that mine needs the Mazda naviextras update that results in maps being stored on a memory card that must then be kept in place.

I have not yet applied this update.

I have also seen mentioned that an option is to apply Alpine firmware which would improve the audio capabilities of the unit. It sounds like this is worth doing.

Do I need to apply the Mazda naviextras update first and can I then Switch to Alpine firmware, or does the most recent Alpine firmware also sort the map size/memory issue and store them on a card?

Is the Alpine firmware update generally successful? The last thing I would want to do is brick the unit.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Hi there, I applied the Alpine software and now I don’t have a working keyboard in the Sat Nav feature, though I typically use my phone’s sat nav anyway.

I may try again with a different memory card, but I am thinking of switching it out for the Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB which is the cheapest device I have found (£400 to £450) with wireless Android Auto.

The blurb in that Pioneer unit suggests it’s Carplay wireless but not Android Auto wireless as it still requires the usb connection for at least the AA.

I’ve been looking at these fully cable free (wireless) units to connect my android phone, they come at an hefty price, last time I looked nearer £800.

I was very wary of that myself, but I have just checked the Pioneer website which says “easy smartphone connectivity supporting Apple CarPlay wireless and Android Auto wireless and USB Mirroring for iPhone and Android”.

It does indeed say both wireless.:+1:

Confusing then that Halfords and Dynamic Sounds, the two I clicked on say slightly different specs (for wireless) to the link you posted on the Pioneer site.

I’m up for a full wireless unit myself, other considerations first for the car.:thinking:

I had started another thread asking if wireless could be justified as I too thought it was very expensive (Wireless Android Auto). This Pioneer unit is no more than the price of other reasonable wired units, so it has certainly got my attention.

I managed to find this link to the User Manual. Page 38 looks fairly definitive that it is available.