What tyres are the best and why?

Geoff, Thanks - great suggestion! If you have time and patience to do this we will all owe you a favour.   I will even buy you a drink next time you are in UK. Doug

No need for beer Doug, just copy, edit and pasteWink

Tyre Test Results: Goodyear F1 GSD3 <o:p></o:p>

Car Roadster Mk1

<o:p> </o:p>

Tyre size 195/50R15 EGL

Mileage covered 6k

Criteria Star rating out of five

Dry Grip

Wet Grip

Road Feedback

Progressiveness

Wear

N/A
Comfort

Buy again

Tyre Test Results: Avon ZV3 

Car MX-5 Mk1 1.8is
Tyre size 195/50R15  
Mileage covered

2k (Inherited with car)

Criteria

Star rating out of five

Dry Grip

Wet Grip

Road Feedback

Progressiveness

Wear

Not great, deformed with age and produced noise akin to worn wheel bearing
Comfort

Buy again

Tyre Test Results: Michelin Pilot SX (now replaced with Pilot Exalto)

Tyre size 195/50/15

Mileage covered 30k

Dry Grip

Wet Grip

Road Feedback

Progressiveness

Wear

Comfort

Buy again

Tyre Test Results: Toyo R1R (not to be confused with the T1R)

Tyre size 195/50/15

Mileage covered 4k

Dry Grip

Wet Grip

Road Feedback

Progressiveness

Wear

Comfort

Buy again

Tyre Test Results: Uniroyal Rainsport 2

Car Mk3 OP 1.8

Tyre size 205/50/16

Mileage covered 15500 miles

Dry Grip

Wet Grip

Road Feedback

Progressiveness

Wear

N/A
Comfort

Buy again

EVO magazine in 2010 did a tyre test using as their test car an MX5 Mk 3. The results were reprinted as a 12 page A4 booklet by, I think, the manufacturer of the tyre that was the overall best all round performer, I picked one up when I was at a tyre dealer. Tyres that were tested ( and they were all scientifically tested to the absolute extreme) were Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A, Continental Contisportcontact 3, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, Kuhmo Ecsta LE Sport KU39, Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2, Uniroyal Rainsport 2, Vredestein Ultrac Cento, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08, and Zeetex HP 103. Top of their table came the Conti which, according to the booklet, was designed specifically for the MX5 and Peugot RCZ. Bottom was the Zeetex which they suggested you avoid at all costs. My own choice, Michelin came half way down the field overall but scored well in the wet. On a dry circuit the Yokohamas did extremely well, a good track day tyre Evo reckon but they were all within 2.4 seconds of each other on the dry handling circuit. But overall the Contis they reckoned were outstanding.

If you can manage to find a copy it makes good reading and as it is MX5 based it makes a good addition to your library

Here is a summary of the above mentioned mk3 MX-5 Evo Mag tyre test: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-EVO-Tyre-Test.htm

Just logged back in for the first time in quite a few days and I’m amazed at the response.  Thanks to everyone who’s helped.  After reading and re-reading the above + other bits of internet research it’s obviously tyres are a personal thing and not exctly clear-cut.  But, on balance, I’ve decided to plump for the Toyo T1R’s for my first set as there appears to be more +ve ratings kicking around (although this might because they’re more affordable than some of the other highly rated alternatives) so these seem like a good reference point to start with.

I will also be keeping an interested eye on the new thread Geoff and Nick mention above as, based on the T1R reviews, it doesn’t sound like it’s going to be too long before I’ll be needing a new set of tyres!!..  Not cheap this sport car thing. Perhaps I should have bought a skateboard!

Thanks again

Andy

Andy
I have a rogue Toyo amongst my Uniroyals. I was gonna change but the car has been fine.
The Toyo has definitely worn quicker than the Unis.
I am now on over 16k on the 3 Unis and about 10k on the Toyo and it has only 1-2mm more
I do like the Toyos but the Unis seem to prefer the surfaces around here
I have no proof whatsoever in the following supposition but i believe that different tyres work better in different parts of the country

You won’t go too far wrong with the Toyos anyway
I realise you have a 2.5 and some may say there’s a difference to be considered but i know a Euphonic owner who’s very pleased with his Rainsports 2s as well

Did you really mean that you have two different makes of tyre on your car?Rolling eyes  If you do I hope you don’t get involved in an accident when the police might be involved.

As long as the tyres are the same spec. there is no problem legally.

Hi to all,

just bought myself a MX5, sold my beautiful RX8 (230 velocity red), fantastic car could not stomach the petrol any more !!!

The car I have was a bargin Mk 2.5 sport 2003, the only thing letting it down are the cheap chineese tyres fittted, any views or should I stick with them.

All thoughts welcome

Alan

Hi Alan and welcome Waving

tyres? in short, get shot especially if you do not have a death wish