What will you get when you finally give up "5"' ing?

As per the title, we have been MX’ing for almost 25years but getting to an age where we “may” decide to give it up in a year or two…just wondering what car you would get if you were looking for a bit of fun but with something a little more practical than a “5”?..

1 Like

To paraphrase Charlton Heston,they’ll have to prise the keys from my cold dead hand.

MX-5 ‘til I die!

6 Likes

Probably another motorcycle

2 Likes

…I was banned from motorcylces more years ago than I care to remember :frowning:

A coffin!!! :coffin:
:heart:

11 Likes

“…when a man is tired of an MX5, he is tired of life; for there is in an MX5 all that life can afford.”

8 Likes

Don’t forget, many (like me) don’t get to choose, the decision is made for us. Mr. Arth Ritis doesn’t ask permission to attack your joints, he just goes ahead and does it - “you can bend this low and no lower and certainly not low enough to get in and out of that!”. So I’ve got a s/h Aygo, open the door, park your ■■■■ on the seat and swivel your legs in. Does what I want, cheap as chips to buy and run!!!

5 Likes

I’ve always always wanted a pre '73 (Roundie rear light) BMW 2002

4 Likes

I’ve hardly started…! :joy:

Rob

1 Like

Well I made an vow that I’m never buying an electric vehicle and that my NC staying for good. I guess I will be using it until I can’t crawl anymore in it or someone has to drag me out of it :joy:

5 Likes

My sister had a fifteen(?) year old 1972 2000 Touring, her favourite car ever.

One night, it decided all by itself to try and start the engine, and having been left in gear with the steering lock on, it powered out through the garage door and into the hefty pine tree living next to it on the right.

A write off caused by wiring rot. Many tears.

3 Likes

I’ve always know that one day I will own a Honda Jazz!

1 Like

I bought one in Jan 2010 and my niece had it when I bought my ND in 2015. She still runs it as her daily car, still looks good, reliable, solid, no rot, no problems, passed every MOT without any advisories! What’s not to like!!!

2 Likes

7443351a75449715869ce35493ecc947

7 Likes

The MX5 has one USP for me. It’s a drop top and I like fresh air. Without that constraint ., the choice is legion. On the low end of the affordability scale a Fiesta ST would suit me fine - compact , quick , great handling and the bonus of a three cylinder engine - I love the noise they make. Spend some more and a GR Yaris ticks lots of boxes , and it is another ‘three’ as well. Spend even more and the lovely Alpine A110 would grace any garage . And the answer to many questions has always been Golf, from GTi to bonkers quick R .

2 Likes

My plan has always been to accrue funds and eventually sell the mx5 and go to Japan with the funds for its replacement Nd bring something back, unsure what but itl be a wild ride finding out

2 Likes

Passed my MK3.75 Recaro Sport Tech on already. Brought a Abarth 124Spider. Technically a ‘5’ but not a ‘5’ Love it

3 Likes

I think I’ll mostly be Zimmer framing

2 Likes

Seen a few of these about and actually they look veeery nice, or shouldn’t I be saying that :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :grin:

I’ve just started my MX5 journey with a 55,000 NC. My wife’s Skoda Kamiq has a three cylinder 1l engine with auto gearbox and is faster than my car. It’s more comfortable, quiet but great engine noise, with really decent interior, stereo and satnav. But for some reason we’re loving the MX5 so much more! I like it so much that I’m booking it in for underseal it to make sure it lasts a very long time.

3 Likes