Wheel Fitment over 1.8 sport brakes

Hoping someone could help.

I am looking to buy 15x8 et0 Rota Kyusha wheels. I have the 1.8 svt model with the larger stock front and rear brakes, however I am sceptical about the fitment over the callipers. I can’t find the inside barrel diameter anywhere so I can’t even measure this between my current set of 16x7 jr3’s.

1. My model of MX-5 is: 04 mk2.5 1.8vvt svt

If it’s of any help, my 15x8 ET28 Enkeis needed 20mm spacers to fit over the SVT brakes that are fitted to my NA. I’m not sure how to do the maths but this might mean you need spacers of the 20mm I have plus the 28mm difference in our ETs, making 48mm. Why not just get the correct ET, which IIRC would be about 35 for 8s?

Not looked into kyushas very much but 0et sounds problematic

The original regamaster evos which they’re copies of come in 15x8 et35 or 40 which I’d expect to fit

I had a set of xxr’s on the 5 for rolling around the unit (I know🤢)

They were 8.25j et 0 and would’ve needed a fair amount of arch work, I’d expect those kyushas to be not far off, especially if you’re fitting spacers aswell

It’s not usually the rim size (15"+) or width that is the problem with Sport brake setups, it’s the rear of the spoke design. The standard mk2 15" 5-spoke wheels that are 15 x 6.5" et40 clear Sport brakes fine. Rota RB 15x7 et35 fit fine on the rear of the car but on the front they foul the inside of the spokes. A 5mm spacer is apparently all they need to clear.
Some wheels do need thinner brake flexi banjo bolts like the ones that come on braided lines to clear the wheel barrel. Even then you’ll need to make sure a tyre fitter doesn’t stick wheel weights in that area. There’s lots of discussion on Miata.net if you Google it.

1 Like