Which Power Steering Pipe is Which?

The steering on my 2.5 (right hand drive) started making a funny noise the other day, sounded like the power steering pump was having issues. Checked reservoir, bone dry. Topped it up (it really doesn’t hold a lot does it!).
Gave the pipes I could see a quick once over just in case I could spot anything obvious. I was originally intending to top it up and then see how it fared and only search for leaks if I definitely knew there were any.
Pipes are a bit tatty anyway and are mostly hidden behind stuff so wasn’t too hopeful however in plain sigh there was a blister (for lack of a better word), I cleaned it up before running the engine again and then tested it after. When a tissue is pressed against it it comes away with red fluid on it (same colour as the steering fluid). I know absolutely nothing about the power steering system but am assuming that as the fluid is only weeping out it must be a return pipe of some kind right?

Looking around online and at a bunch of different parts retailers there seems to be quite a few different individual pipes in the system but I can’t find a picture or description of exactly which pipe is which.
By my reckoning, I need this one here but that’s as much a guess as anything else.

This is a picture I took earlier. The one that leaks is the middle, darker one.
Here’s a close up of the leak if any one’s interested.

Can anyone help me definitively work out which pipe is which?

Also, how big of a job is this to replace? I would prefer to order the parts and replace them myself but I’m essentially just an amateur with a tool box, I don’t have access to lifts or pits or anything.
Are the unions likely to come undone or are will they probably all be rusted in place necessitating the replacement of other parts too?
Should I spend the extra money and replace the other two pipes whilst I’m at it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Buhhdie. Pretty certain thats the pipe you need. I had mine replaced back in March.My mate did it on his pit at his mot station. I have replaced a different pipe with the car on ramps,very fiddly job. The nut may well be rusted on,so cut the pipe and use a ring spanner
Good luck

So I’ve just finished doing the job myself.
That was the correct pipe. I emailed mx5parts asking about it and they helpfully sent me this picture which tells you which part number you need. I hope it helps anyone in the future.

It’s not great fun I must admit. You’ll need a deep 19mm socket and 17mm flare nut spanner on top of your standard toolkit.
There are three sets of clamps which can all be undone from above (through the engine bay) but can realistically only be put back on again from underneath.The front plastic engine tray needs to be removed to allow access, there is a little access flap in the tray but I gave up with that after a while, you need to be an octopus to do the job through it.
The clamp marked with an arrow in the previous link has a rubber spacer between the two pipes which has two hex washers(?) bonded to it and studs sticking out either end. This was very tight and required a deep 19mm socket to actually remove as otherwise the rubber just twists and it doesn’t undo.

Thankfully none of my unions had rusted in place but boy were they tight. I ordered some beefy flare nut spanners to assist and they really are a necessity if you don’t want to start cutting bits up.
To remove the pipe I did, you also have to undo the other pipe to allow it to come free of the car.

Don’t damage the rubber hose at the other end that goes in the reservoir as you don’t get a new one with the steel pipe.

I hope this helps anybody in the future who attempts this job themselves :smiley: