Which tyres?

Hi folks,just had,a look at the tires that are on my 06 1.8 and noticed that on the front are 205/50ZR 16 91W Nexens and on the back are 205/50ZR 16 87W Rovelos,all tyres have plenty of tread left but could this be part of the reason why when out and about and driving normally that even going over a slight bump it feels like the back ain’t as planted as it should be?

Car is running on standard suspension set up and isn't a daily drive,when looking online for tyres/prices its saying the sizes are 205/50R 16 V 87,so what tyres would people recommend?TIA

Tyre selection is very much an open book, depending on who you are, and how you drive. Nick D is considered the authority on tyre selection, which makes me say that Toyos are IMHO as good as it get’s, but he and I differ on that choice. I am on 15" wheels (downsized from 16") and now on the second set.
However, each to his own. All I can suggest is you check what tyres are used generally - not cheap ones, for sure, but all weather (Not snow) tyres would be my choice, as you never know what’s at the end of any journey.
My son had an early Merc A140, pretty basic model, with IIRC 17" wheels, but he drove my car on several occasions, so fitted to Toyo’s also, after which he said he was more than happy with them.

Always make sure you buy the same make and type of tyre on all four corners, the MX5 needs perfect balance. Inflate as per your drivers manual (if you have it) otherwise at pressures recommended by other NC owners on here. If you buy directional tyres (V shaped tread) always make sure they are fitted correctly, as some tyre depots don’t have a clue. Also that they fit each tyre according to manufacturers spec - relative to weight of each tyre v’s relationship to the valve. Some tyres need the ‘spot’ next to the valve, others need it opposite.

I’ve always used mytyres - online and there’s a full choice of tyre to pick from; also black circles are highly recommended by some members, as are a few others, none of whom I’ve tried myself. Well known ones will give you a list to choose from, and ratings for each tyre, all of which matter when choosing the right one. Don’t go for an expensive tyre when a less expensive one will do the same job, you are paying for reputation, not the basic tyre. Otherwise, to be fair, not much I can tell you, I’m no expert, just a happy owner with the ones I’ve got. (Proxes- T1R)

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Gerry,from what i have seen online Avon zv7,nankangs,toyo t1r and kumho hs51 seem to have good reviews from mx5 users who have had them fitted and they are,all around the same price give or take.
Going to sort out 4 wheel alignment first to see if that helps as the tyres that are on the car although maybe not the best makes aren’t that old and then see about new tyres all round after the winter when the car will hopefully be getting more use

As Gerry mentions above, all corners need the same brand fitted to make your car happy again. Tyres first then get the alignment checked/sorted. Kumhos for me, a good all weather tyre but the MX-5 is never going to be a great handling car in ice and snow mine stays in the garage.

Perfectly good advice.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys,only reason i was going to get the alignment done 1st was to see if it made a difference as cheaper than buying 4 new tyres but makes sense for the tyres then alignment so will get it all seen to into the new year

Check your tyre pressures first off! Totally agree that a matched set of correctly fitted tyres are the way to go but when I first got my NC1, had a set of brand new tyres on but fitted to a set of tatty rims. I bought new rims and had the tyres swapped over. Fitters, despite my best efforts, ignored my request to inflate to 29psi. I assumed wrongly that they would have done it. I’d not driven the car before swapping the wheels/tyres so nothing to compare with. The handling was terrible, car back end hopping about on bends over the slightest ripples in road surface, awful. I looked at somehow improving the set up, alignment/ARB’s/suspension etc when I had a lightbulb moment. Checked pressure and each wheel was at least 36psi, one nearly 40psi!!! Sorted that and the car handled far, far better. Not had a problem since  schoolboy error I know but happy to admit that, if it potentially helps others. It costs nothing either. Good starting point IMO.

Barrie.

Everyone drives different so tyres are very much dependent on your  personal style and needs, everyone will have an opinion on this and is a big can of worms as can many other things with these roadsters to start food fights…

But just to throw on the table because you have ask for other owners opinions on the subject…

We have been around these roadsters a long time and have tried many different tyre sizes and brands over the years, some have been total ditch finders 

I have a very heavy foot, they are road cars only, they will never see track time, and I like them totally set up correctly  for me, they are used on the twist’s and turns and motorways, i like them to stay put in the dry and the wet and have the confidence as they carry may body around the northwest, but tyres are not just the thing to take into account suspension play a big part, brakes and alignment, but then you have your choices of different sizes and off set rims etc etc to to blow an head vessel…

We use unirayol rainsport , we are up to version 3 now , great in the dry great in the wet, and can be gotten at a budget end price  now for these roadsters, all ours have used them for years, we are with these until they stop making them, , best tyre out there for the cost. In my personal opinion( i have to get that in before the hounds of I’m right are let loose) from trying many.

But like i said it is all down to your own personal driving style, rainsports fit our needs for use.

What ever you pick , enjoy your roadster buddy.

M-m

All good advice, but as Wayne says tyres are a perosnal thing.

As already mentioned though do check the pressures, on a MK3 they should be 29psi all round, these cars do not like running the wrong pressure.