Whilst I have the rocker cover off

Hi Folks,

Replacing the rocker cover gasket soon and was going to replace the CAS seal whilst I was at it. That should hopefully sort the oil leaks.

Whilst the cover is off, i will probably change the timing belt too as I have no idea when it was last carried out. What other jobs should I be looking at doing whilst in in the top of the engine? As far as I know the engine was running pretty well, did not notice any smoke on my one blast in the car after purchase and pre strip down.

Its a 1.8 vvti btw.

Cheers folks

J

Our engines have solid lifters. I think I recall they “ought to be” gapped at around 60/70k miles or summat but I’m not sure anyone even bothers!
It would make sense, as I recall it should ideally be done when the service cambelt change is being done anyhow. Ours don’t sound tappety at all.
Seem OK at 105k miles but who knows…might be a wee smidge out.
Or not…

Just make sure you buy genuine Mazda gaskets and seals, you don’t want it leaking again with inferior parts.:+1:

1 Like

Exactly. 100% agreed.

cool. Thanks for the lifters head up (no punn intended!) Am I right in thinking its onlt the NA that has hydraulic lifters?

Need to do some research on the lifter gap checking… If adjustment is needed are we taking about shim inserts or simple screw adjustment? Sorry for the noob question.

J

NA HLAs…Yip. Bang on.
Wife’s Sport mill?
Not a flippin’ Scoobie Doo!

wa? Speak English man! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:joy:
I’m “Scotch”…well sorta.
Anyway let us know how it goes.

Ill be tackling it after my hols next week. Will update when I get to it in a week or so.

Cheers

J

1 Like

Just rotate the engine so the cam lobe is facing away from the tappet and measure the clearance ( I can’t recall the measurement). If adjustment is required, there are shims in the top of each tappet bucket.