Who is getting a 30AE ?

Has anyone else had their delivery period updated?  Bradley has now been told “Due 3rd September”, very specific for a car not yet built I’m thinking!  I’ve been told “Don’t worry, we’ll keep you informed”, a polite way of saying “Don’t ring us, we’ll ring you”!  As I’ve mentioned elsewhere it would seem that the “due Summer” has become “delivery Autumn” the same as the release of the original ND.

That sounds very disappointing. Buyer puts their money on the table early with the promise of a full summer of enjoyment and then the best of the year gets wiped out. Not quite so bad for those that use the car all year round but many sorn them for 6 months through winter.

If those figures are correct it must be a little disappointing for Mazda. I would have thought that most of the take up would be by MX5OC members, who understand the value and attraction of these cars more than the general punter. Hope things improve as I am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh (or should I say peel).

Regarding “The Devils Notebook”, I feel that anybody who continues to use it after recent events is supporting and abetting a morally corrupt organisation. It may be unthinkable to some, but it is possible to live without it.

Pretty sure more than 6 OC members have ordered. However…

1. Not all members use this forum.

2. Not all the people who use the forum will have seen this thread.

3. Not all who have seen it will post.

None of these worry me. I started the thread so those lucky people who wanted to stick their heads above the parapet could find others who are going through the same highs (and unfortunately it would seem, a bit of a low) together.

Very good points Roadie. I did find it hard to believe that so few were buying the 30AE. Shame about the delayed deliveries. Must be a bit galling for some who were looking forward to having their new cars over summer.

Personally if I had ordered a brand new MX-5 of any model for June delivery and it hadn’t turned up until September I would be apoplectic.

Ok I used my MX-5 every day when I was working. Now my wife and I are both retired we tend to use the ‘comfy’ car in the winter. The 5 doesn’t get a lot of use. Now the sun is shining it’s getting used all the time. If I was after a 30AE and couldn’t have a new one until September I would try and pick up a dealer demo or a used one next Spring or the year after. Thinking back I’ve bought all four of my MX-5s in April to June. I know it’s the worst time of year to buy price wise but judgement goes out the window when the right one comes along

Incidentally I know this should be in the for sale thread but who cares. I’m taking advanced orders for turkeys and Christmas trees. Will be available for delivery in February.

I should have realised it wouldn’t be available until September…Orange is an Autumn colour after all!

Shame Mazda didn’t earmark the 3000 earlier and start building them way before the announcement. Taking delivery March, April or early May would have been great. 

I’ve not decided yet and now thinking I’m going to not order. The late delivery was something that has delayed my decision(I was quoted August when I asked weeks ago). If it was March, April I probably would have fomo’ed and placed an order :).

I’m actually thinking I may see if I can pick one up discounted next year, slightly used. Never bought a new car before so was quite excited about picking up an LE new. 

Also walked around the local dealer recently and realised that I’d be pretty happy with a base spec 1.5. It’s probably going to replace an old Yaris second car and, well, it would still be a huge improvement in performance and fun.

May still change my mind yet.

Black humour here. Plenty of grey hair about in the club and plenty who have lost most of what went grey. Even if all 600 are reserved there will probably be a few that become available due to the prospective owners not being around any more.

Oooo!  That’s so cruel, but true!

According to my local dealer a couple of weeks ago, over half have been sold so far. A long wait though it seems.

Checked with my dealer. He says my RF due before August 11. Rag tops first. Hope I can believe him. 

Well one thing is consistent…the inconsistency of delivery date estimates! It’s a pity the OC doesn’t have a “mole” in Mazda to give us some facts!  Or does it it the form of Steven Bird of Mazda UK who writes an article for each edition of STHT magazine? Who’s our linkperson?  Can they get some reliable info.?

So initially it was ‘early June’, now ‘by 11th August’.

Usually when an estimated date is quoted and updates promised you would expect the updates to narrow things down. The window is getting wider. I’m assuming the next update will be ‘later this year’ then there will be a free turkey with ever car. Might be tempted by an offer of free chocolate if it gets delayed until Easter.

Maybe Theresa May works for Mazda on the side

If that happened, when the dealer phoned to say that “your car will be ready for collection next week” I’d probably say “Car?  What car?  I haven’t ordered any car…have I?”.

Just read his article in the latest issue about the 30AE. A double page spread that doesn’t reveal anything that we don’t already know. Quotes UK release as ‘Summer’. Not very exact is it. He’s probably tasked with writing an article for each issue but not allowed to release any information that isn’t already published. Not knocking him, must be difficult to fill two pages when all you have to say is ‘nothing to report’.

You weren’t going to mention the B word there were you?

You do realise that if the 30AE delivery is delayed beyond June we have to elect a member in the Japanese parliament.

You’re right there!  His article is little more than a re-hash of the Motor shows’ promo blurb and the catalogue hype.

I suppose I could do a Rees-Mogg, say “No deal!” and walk away!