Windscreen repair

Not the MX5 but my other car.
Doing about 45mph on a clear road with no traffic in front only another car coming towards me at about the same speed, when an almighty ‘crack’ and a “what the hell was that?”, it was then i noticed a small impact chip in the windscreen directly in the passengers eye line.
The chip which is quite small has a few spider legs that potentially could or will start to spread.
Halfrauds do a chip repair service for £30ish.
Has anyone used a chip repair company and is it worth getting done or would i be throwing my money away?
Dave.

Is that on the Jimny?
Worth checking your insurance as they may do free chip repair. Certainly on the couple of occasions I have had this done, it has been free through insurance.
Definitely worth getting it repaired or have a go yourself; I’ll bet there are repair kits on ebay. Will track one down for you and add later.
Here we go. Ideally requires an ultra violet light to cure or a warm day; not much hope of that at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and yes it is on the Jimny.
I think for £30 i’ll bob down to my local Halfrauds tomorrow and see what they say.

Wish this weather would pick up a bit as i want to get my offside king pin bearings sorted.

I’ve had good results from a “Rain X” windscreen repair kit from Halfords after my insurer’s repair company said the damage was too minor for them to bother with - yet it spoiled the look of the car.

Would also recommend a good quality (i.e. not the cheapest) UV torch from Amazon to cure the resin repair in the absence of sunny days - I bought a decent torch & was really pleased with the appearance of the repair which is now almost invisible.

1 Like

Having looked at a few youtube vids of the Rain X i am going to buy the kit and wait until the weather warms up a bit.
As it’s only £10 it won’t break the bank, i just need to be patient.

1 Like

That is the way to go.
Provided no-one deliberately tries to extend the spider cracks, they should be stable if the damage is in a relatively unstressed part of the screen.
Not likely to be a problem at MOT time either as on the passenger side.

I have recently had a windscreen repair at Halfords (which was directly in my sight line too), great repair for £30 (and will stop it spreading any further). Can still see the spider legs if the sunlight catches it at the wrong angle though, but I guess that would be the same with any windscreen repair.