Wireless Android Auto - is it worth it?

Yes, I think it is worth it. Fitted a Pionner AVIC-Z930DAB (requires double-DIN fascia kit) into my 2012 mk3.5 about 14 months ago with Herbert Richter universal holder on a Proclip 634416 which holds either of our phones nicely to the left of the head unit. The unit has two rear USB sockets: one is cabled to the glovebox with a256GB cruzer flash drive holding music, the second fly lead is charge-only routed to the cubby. Adding a flush-faced twin USB adaptor in the aux power socket under the head unit and a short coiled charging cable means on long journeys the phone in the cradle is constantly charging. As our phones are different it also allows for swapping the leads between USB type C or micro depending which one is in the cradle.

The AVIC units are expensive but the capacitive touch-screen is lovely to use (like most phone or tablet screens) and being motorised you can tilt it if there’s too much reflection. What you get is flexibility. Short trips = no bother plugging in, long trips = both phones are always charged even using AA and are always connected whichever option you choose. I baulked at the price but honestly, so glad after much agonising I bit the bullet. Good luck whatever you choose, it’s a tough decision.