Would you drive 1hr 40mins home on these tyres?

While I heartily agree with your point about there being no slow lane, (move left unless overtaking, ye fekkers!), if he’s doing 55, he’ll sit moving along with the lorries and won’t be a hazard to anyone for that reason. Tyres giving out is a different story, obvs!

A Google search tells me that lorries are allowed to travel up to 60mph on a motorway. The OP could find himself constantly being overtaken by a larger vehicle travelling slightly faster than he is. Not ideal in a small car

They are but being a HGV driver most are limited to 56mph
That said i would probaly change them before leaving .

1 Like

Thankyou for clearing that up

1 Like

2000K still on those no trouble.

:innocent:

Defective tyres are worth 3 points each as far as I know!!! … No don’t drive it except very carefully to a local tyre fitters for replacement, I would also make sure it’s booked in for new tyres at the fitters. Aternatively have tyres fit by mobile fitter where the car is.

Your call this one.

Roy

2 Likes

No I wouldn’t drive 1h40m on them.

2 Likes

To me those cracks look like they’re in the tread, and don’t extend into the carcass, so yes, I would drive 140 miles with due care.
I had similar cracks like this in the Michelin pilot super sports after 5k miles on my new M140 which were deemed ok by Michelin, although I was aware others had them replaced under warranty. Mine were deemed cosmetic!

1 Like

I’ve booked for them to be changed down the road from where I’m picking the car up. Hopefully all goes smoothly and I’ll enjoy my drive back on some nice fresh tyres. Thanks everyone!

5 Likes

Great stuff - enjoy the new car !

1 Like

What make and model are the dodgy tyres please, I want to avoid them in the future. They may just be old but breaking down rubber like those means avoid to me.

Thanks
Roy

2 Likes

most lorries are restricted to 56MPH
so if you sit in the inside lane at 56 you will be ok!

post deleted by author

Apart from the fact that you will probably have a large convoy of trucks behind you

Avon ZV3 I believe. The Avon Z range seem notorious for cracking from my research

There is a reason why there are moves afoot to have a “best by” date for tyres…and this is a perfect example of why; old rubber which has dried out and cracked. On the side of some blocks the cracks can be see extending down into structure itself. Could be lethal if the tyre began to separate due to heat and centrifugal force at high speeds. And, it the tread is in apparently good order as regards tread depth, one wonders why the rubber is cracking like this? I would suggest that tyre’s got history…
Using the numbers on the side there is a code for working out a tyre’s age.

Quote MOT regulations: “there shouldn’t be any tears, bulges, or cracks around the tyre”
You may have a come-back on the MOT garage if they didn’t notice it.

2 Likes

Lots of good tyre advice here. If you drive it take it very easy and check part way through the journey.
Is it correct that there are only around 300 Mk2 S models left. I was not aware that they are this rare. Mine is a 1998 Mk2 S.

1 Like

Yes was grateful for all the advice! Decided to just get them changed after picking it up so I could enjoy the drive home. Getting it on Saturday!

Yes I think they only ever made 300 (in red?) so potentially less now, hard to find reliable info though. Top spec model but slightly odd, full sports body kit with a wooden effect interior! Not the most obvious combination but think they just threw everything at it

Possibly a wise decision. They are not a great car to have an accident in for sure. You can now enjoy it without bringing it home with doubt in your mind. Enjoy your run home. Mine is silver. I know they are quite rare but there are so many limited editions its often hard to know how many there really are. I have an orange one (previously green) of the same age and spec but is off the road and used as an autotest car. They are superb and agile cars especially with the LSD fitted. Enjoy your new vehicle at the weekend.

Best decision in my opinion.

At the last MoT I was told two of the tyres showed similar cracking on the inside, which I was unable to see. No hesitation, even now with a full MoT, I went and ordered two new ones straight away. At the time both had over 4mm, but I reckon it was an age thing. The tyres were around 6 years old.