Ye Olde Oak

Had this cut 4 years back from a falllen log of oak which came a cropper somewhere in Sussex during Mr Fish’s storm that never was. All 3 cwt of it.
It was still “wet wood” eg unseasoned having been sawn from inside the huge trunk, which had been transported with others up to Stirlingshire, and today they provided timber for repairs & furniture. This slab was not cheap.
Anyhow, I’ve kind of let it go to the dogs over the last few years, but decided it needed a bit of tlc.

Oh dear…

Better…

Barranttine’s excellent wood preserver…3 applications.
I’ll likely fine sand it and give it a few coats of proper yacht varnish to make the grain jump.

5 Likes

That looks great now and the splits give it character, I always think it’s great when someone can see the potential, bit of elbow grease lots of satisfaction.

1 Like

Thanks.
I was contemplating drilling through and using long steel bolts to close the splits, but decided against it. Other option was to fill with resin but wood, seasonally, expands & contracts so that would not work well either after I googled it. It is what it is…more a “feature” than a seat.

I’d be happy to sit there for a while contemplating, with a cuppa, or a dram :wink:

1 Like

I was expecting a picture of a tin of ham!!!

That is much nicer.

:heart:

3 Likes

Some yacht quality varnish on.
Some hand sanding & another 2 coats ought to do it.
Thanks for all the kind comments.
It represents, for me anyway, part of English history in a way since for one thing Henry 8th’s famous 7 Oaks became 1 oak I believe.
Dreadful.