1.8 NC to 2.0....What can I expect?

Hello lads
I’m picking up '06 2.0 Sport NC this week and I have a couple of questions I’m hoping you can answer for me.
I’ve been driving a '07 1.8 NC for the last four years and 50,000 miles, and I’ve loved every minute of it. How is the 2.0 going to feel in comparison? Do the Bilstein shocks, LSD and 17in wheels make for noticeably better handling, and will it feel a lot faster?
This 2.0 has FSH, been garaged and has only covered 30,000 miles, do you think the suspension, bushes, dropouts etc will still feel fresh despite it being 15 years old?
So excited! Thanks in advance for your feedback guys, much appreciated.

I don’t think it’ll be a night and day difference but for sure there will be things to notice.
A little bit more on the go pedal will be welcomed. The Bilstein shocks don’t carry as much glory as their name implies because the general consensus is the ride height is too tall (for UK markets/legislation apparently).
As for bushings, I’d expect the rubber to be in good order at 30k miles if the car has been as babied as you write. It might benefit from changing the oil and a good Italian tune up in the near future. Enjoy…

1 Like

Thanks Reggie, I’m looking forward to that extra 30hp and 20ib of torque, if the 1.8 had a fault it’s that it could feel a bit flat sometimes. Good to know the bushings should be ok. One owner so it seems it’s been sat in a garage most of it’s life waiting for a sunny day. First job will be oil and filter, then it’s getting a set of Pilot Sports and wheel alignment check.
Cheers mate, have a great Christmas.

Welcome to the club.
I recently got a 2013 nc2 on 31000 thousand miles.
sadly mine had some serious issues with the suspension which had been caused by the previous owner.
so I had to refresh it.

as for differences.
you won’t be able to make the 2l back end step out like you could with the 1.8 unless you turn off the DSC and really push it.
also, the traction control really helps in this awful weather, hell if it wasn’t for the traction control id have probably burnt out my rear tyres by now, just from getting out of my very slippery driveway.
but my driveway is so bad that even my neighbor keeps sliding on his pushbike!

1 Like

Hiya Thibor, thanks for the welcome, mate.
Traction control, I forgot about that, another new toy to play with! The 1.8 was definitely a bit tail happy until I put a set of premium contact 6 on it, then I had more grip than I knew what to do with, incredible tires. I’ve heard the PS4 is even better but they weren’t available in 205/50/16.
I’ve got some great little country roads around here that I’ve driven for years in the 1.8 and learnt every bump and camber change, It’s going to be very interesting to see how the 2.0 compares!

You will find the TC/DSC very intrusive. I always drive mine with it off.

4 Likes

Cheers Richard, yes I’ll probably play around with it for a while just to get a feel for how it works, then save it for the very worst winter weather. I’d imagine it’s pretty handy in icy conditions.

The MX-5 isn’t that good in icy conditions, with or without traction control, so I wouldn’t rely on it one bit in those conditions.

1 Like

With low mileage and that age, I would expect the Drop Links to be have severely rusty springs inside. So they might clonk a bit…

I changed the rear drop links on my always garaged (warm and dry) 2008 NC at 35,000 miles last year, both were effectively seized top and bottom, and when one of lower ball joints did eventually move after being released it had 5mm in-out play!

The suspension’s so much quieter with the new ones. I’ve not fitted the front pair I bought at the same time because the clonks left with the old rear links.

1 Like

I remember a few years back when we had some proper snow, trying to get to work for the early shift. It wasn’t too bad if you could keep moving but setting off on a hill was damn near impossible. I don’t know TC would have made much difference in those conditions.

The only answer in snow is to fit some all season or winter tyres.

1 Like

Hiya Richard, Yes, that was my concern. But judging from the recorded mileages at the service intervals, it seems to have been used regularly, just not very much. Hopefully any issues will have been dealt with at the same time.
Not even seen it in the flesh yet, it’s getting delivered on Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

I would be surprised if 15 year old shocks were still giving you half the ride quality of when they were new. I would give serious consideration to new shocks. If the rest of the car is a ‘keeper’, change them soon and get the benefit soon. You could wait a long-time before they are MOT failingly bad, so could put up with something compromised and still have to fork out in the end.

1 Like

Cheers Mctrucky, I’m happy to throw some money at this one, I got it pretty cheap and with only 30k on it, at least I know the motor should be good for many years. I’ll probably end up getting coilovers fitted in the Spring.
Tbh I was surprised to hear of low mileage cars with knackered suspension, I’d always assumed wear was the only factor but it seems that parking them up for long periods is what wrecks them. My 1.8 NC daily driver still felt really firm and well damped with 120k on the OE shocks, couldn’t fault it at all.

1 Like

They are pressurised containers, and WILL lose pressure over time. If they don’t lose the oil, they will provide damping and pass an MOT, but the car will drive like a bouncy castle. You may be correct, frequent use may well be better than letting seals stay locked in position for extended periods.

Enjoy your new car :smile:

1 Like

Glad you’re excited, it’s a decent step up!

I had my 2.0 sport at the same time my sister had a 1.8 and could tell there was a difference but it wasn’t enormous when driving back to back. It felt similar to driving a car with a full fuel tank and passenger, versus driving on your own with half a tank.

I’m not at all technical but I read the 1.8 is a little more prone to issues, but again, that could be heresay based on what I’ve read online versus the reality.

Good luck picking up the new motor and glad you’re sticking to the MX5 :+1::+1:

1 Like

Cheers Adam!
I love the MX5, I had a 1.8 NB Icon for six years, took that from 80k up to 150k and I’d have kept it forever but someone rammed it from behind and totaled it. Had my 1.8 NC for four years, then last month my elderly neighbour had some sort of blackout, drove across the garden in his Kia and knocked the MX5 sideways! Another write off. Anyway, they gave me a new Ford Focus courtesy car and it’s bloody awful, like driving a van. Don’t think I could ever get used to FWD cars again.
Hopefully this one will last me for years and I’ll upgrade stuff over time as I learn more. It’s great having all the knowledge and experience on the forum to draw from, there can’t be many cars that have such an enthusiastic fan base as ours.
I’ll get some pics posted asap!

At that age and mileage, the dampers will surely have had their day, but also the rubber bushing, as all rubber-type materials degrade with time even if they’re not used. You tend only to realise that fact when they’ve been changed. Plus for safety’s sake get them done.

1 Like

Hi Reggie, I must be missing something what is a “good Italian tune up” ?

“Hello Lads” Wes 1 ? I seriously think you should be apologising to our many female members for this blatantly sexist oversite especially the ones with the voluptuous knockers.

1 Like