10 Years Ownership

I have now owned my 1998 NB for 10 years. Bought on eBay for £600 and it had 100,000 miles on the clock. It now has 132,000 and is kept outside. The rear sills and front chassis legs have been repaired and it is now getting bubbly around the rear wheel arches but otherwise is presentable. I have kept a record of all expenditure and work in my ownership and apart from a cambelt and water pump change I have carried out all the maintenance. What had been amazing is how little I have had to replace. I have rebuilt the brake calipers with new pistons and seals and fitted new discs and pads. Other than routine service items I have replaced the radiator, thermostat and hoses, Drop links, Alternator, Gearchange boot, Power steering pipe and hose, a Clutch Slave cylinder and a Water Temperature sensor. The exhaust and battery have also been replaced.
All the major units continue to perform as new. I would have expected the clutch or coil pack to need replacing but no. It still drives well and uses little oil and does 36 - 37 mpg. When it eventually needs replacing I hope to buy a 2016 1.5 ND, will that be as reliable?

2 Likes

Congratulations!:clinking_glasses: 5 years in May for me.

Congratulations . . . 21 years for me with the same mk1. Still going strong!

My wife had her 51 plate 2.5 for 18 years with 153k, it broke her heart to see it go but it was replaced with a 1.5 ND. As for me my 55 plate 2.5 which I had for 10 years with 132k went and wasn’t replaced, so I inherited the family CX-3.