1000 miles in an ND 1.5

Over 6 days we covered 1050 miles in the ND, total on the car is now about 1400.

The ground we covered is represented by this map link, not an exact route an illustration of the ground covered; http://binged.it/1GcUqgz

Handling - Out of the box it’s really really good, very neutral without noticeable over or understeer in spirited driving, undeniably there is more roll than on the NC though you don’t really notice it from behind the wheel.

Suspension - Good, the wheels stay precisely where placed, we have though on two occasions on rough single track roads managed to ground something toward the rear of the car, will have it on a ramp later this week so able to see specifically what, exhaust box is a suspect.

Engine - Completed running in whilst away, it’s a peach :smiley: can potter about quite well lower in the rev range at respectable speeds, if you want to get up an go drop a gear or two and it’s a pocket rocket… :lol: Ran in convoy with two NC’s yesterday, up a longer incline you need to work a little harder than the NC to maintain momentum, the car revels with this kind of treatment. Overall on this trip we averaged over 45 mpg… no complaints there!

Gearbox - Is sweet, changes 1 - 6 are so smooth, precise and easy, have found reverse a little notchy though sometimes.

Comfort - Over 6 days averaging 175 miles a day the seats were very comfortable, no noticeable after effects, SWMBO tested the seat heaters and found them up to her standards… :slight_smile:

Practicality - We managed to take the same amount of luggage in the ND as we would have in the NC, the boot was filled though, no room for much in the way of discretionary purchases whilst away, maybe not a bad thing… :lol:

Toys - The Bose is excellent out of the box, on my first NC I changed the speakers to Clearwaters as the OEM were poor, this is close in terms of output, bass punchiness etc. The DAB radio was pretty crap until we got nearer home and more populated places, not sure if this is indicative of the car or the DAB system coverage itself. FM, AUX, CD etc all worked well. The Jury is out on the Sat Nav, I think I need to spend more time learning how to operate it properly (or RTFM…). There’s a fuel economy app where you can see in real time how the car is doing and with a historical time trace, this is quite funky. Keyless entry works well, not much to say about that. I find the Auto Wipers a bit hit and miss, sometimes too sensitive, in really heavy downpours sometimes not fast enough, generally they are OK overall, you do need to take control back yourself sometimes though. Lights are superb, the steer around corners and auto dip work really well, illumination from the LED’s is excellent, they look good too!

Overall - Still thoroughly delighted with the package, definitely the best of the 4 MX-5’s I have owned :smiley:

Here’s the car at Kyle of Tongue, beautiful even on a wet and windy day and situated on some great driving roads.

Heading up the Bealach

Another view of the Beach, typical weather :smiley:

Here we are in Glen Etive, where the Lieberman Ignition ND review was filmed, still one of the best car reviews I have seen, link here if you haven’t seen it; https://youtu.be/gDLKwTdurxg

Also in Glen Etive, well worth a visit.

Beside another famous landmark.

good stuff Ian, I’m find DAB a bit hit and miss in new daily driver at the mo, I think its the nature of the thing maybe, fine until you are a bit more remote,  same with rain sensitive wipers, had them a few times, More “temperamental” than “sensitive” I always think…

Great write up and superb pics, Ian.
Lovely part of the world.

Nice report, I really loved driving the 1.5 Sport, it is so much fun it makes you laugh.

Still have trouble thinking about trading down from a 2.0, but in reality it’s not a trade down at all.

Amazing write up,

After last Saturday driving a black 1.5 at the Mazda all day driving experience at the David Mellor Design Museum in the Peak District, I am now extremely tempted to order one.

I would definitely chose the same spec as you being the 1.5 in Red, but loved the tan leather I had on the black one at the weekend and used to have tan on my Mk2 Montana which I managed to keep clean.

Nothing wrong with black, but the tan just adds another colour to the interior which I like, but am still sitting on the fence with regard to making my final decision.

Great review, but my other question for a tour like this, is pictures of the boot loaded up with a suitcase and what you can get in the trunk well with the roof up behind the windblocker?

Keep posting…

hey Ian, really enjoyed the write up & the Highland Pics.
good to hear it’s a good’n

Hi team

I have now done just over 1100 miles in my mark 4 2 litre sport,very pleased with it cruised it at a very fast not printable speed today for about twenty miles with the roof down ,verey comfortable not much buffeting,it was very steady on the road,imy only negative point is it is slightly more difficult to place in tight spots due to design,not yet totally sure of the outer edges.

The other interesting thing is i am overall very happy with the ride,on some roads that are really badly broken it is a little bit hard,but i have found out that if the tank is kept full the ride is really great even on rough roads,i think it just puts a bit of weight on the back springs,as with one on the car there is not really any weight at the back,i also run the tyres at 1lb below pressure[28],as an experiment i am going to put a bag of about 30 kilos of sand in the boot for when i want a comfortable ride and see what it is like rode wise and performance wise,but overall very pleased with the car.

All the best Simon