10th May Mid Week Run - Royals, Mire & Garden

Meet 9.00am for prompt 9.15 departure at Sainsbury’s, Longwater Business Park NR5 0JS. Exit A47/A1074(Dereham Rd.) junction for Longwater. We shall assemble at the right side of Sainsbury’s car park. Note: SLIGHTLY EARLIER START.

Run to Castle Rising Tea Room, PE31 6AF arrive in time to order breakfast (limited spaces booked). Then short run to Dersingham Bog for about an hour’s walk on this rare ecological site (normal footwear ok, bring binoculars). Next up Wolferton Station with possible access to the platforms from 2pm.

Dersingham Bog contains three distinct habitats, mire, heath and woodland. We will head to The Mire, an acid peat bog valley bottom surrounded by Greensand escarpments marking an ancient shoreline. Owned by the Sandringham Estate it is the most intact example of an acid mire habitat in East Anglia.

Wolferton Station opened 3rd October 1862 on the single track King’s Lynn to Hunstanton railway line. In February of the same year the Sandringham Estate was purchased by Queen Victoria for the then young Prince of Wales the future King Edward VII. Wolferton Station would see many Royal trains, as in 1863, a Royal Train from London to Wolferton conveyed the then Prince Edward and his bride, the future Queen Alexandra to Sandringham after their marriage in the chapel of Windsor Castle. By the late 1890’s increased traffic and the possible dangers inherent to running Royal Trains along a busy single line resulted in the doubling of the track between King’s Lynn and Wolferton, with the installation of extra sidings to house the Royal Coaches. Also, a new downside building was built in a timber frame Tudor style designed to complement many of the existing buildings on the Royal Estate.

From Wolferton we’ll have a short run to West Acre Garden. A favourite venue of for our mid-week runs we can buy some plants (don’t forget to bring trays/boxes/plastic sheeting for the boot), stroll around the garden (no charge) and grab tea & cake.

Around 4pm we will set off for our run home, with a planned route back to A47 at Easton, Norwich.

Cafe spaces limited so do book up asap to avoid disappointment.

1. David & Rosemary
  2. Mark
  3. Laurie
  4. Rona & Phil
  5. Lesley & Michael
  6. Christopher and Caroline

Well what a lovely day, the sun shone and hardly a drop of rain all day where we were. However saw but did not need to drive through flooded road, trees actually felled across our road albeit well ahead of us, a detour through Sandringham Estate but not Royalty in sight.

Sounds like another good run. Please add me to the list. Thanks.
Mark

Yikes Mark, you were quick. The grass doesn’t grow under your wheels - so added.

Could you add this old fogey as well please.
Thanks, Laurie

One old fogey added.

1 Like

Please add Phil and me, thanks

Rona, you and Phil are ‘on the list’.

Hi please add me to the run - sounds like an amazing day. Many thanks Jilly :cherry_blossom:

Hi please add
Lesley & Michael Trett
Lovely run up to Castle Acre and can’t wait to get my hands on a few more lovely plants :hibiscus: x

1 Like

Jilly,
I will gladly add you to the list.

Lesley & Michael,
Welcome and I will duly add you to ‘the list’.

Hi David. This sounds like a fun run. Could you put me and Caroline down for it please. Heads up - we may need to pull out at short notice due to elderly parents health issues!

Christopher and Caroline I will add you to the list, hope you can make it. David

Hi I am really sorry but I won’t be able to make it as daughter has slipped a disc and I’m needed to look after 10 month baby.

I hope you all have a good day

Jilly :cherry_blossom:

Jilly,
Thanks for letting me know. Hope to see you on one of these mid week runs some time.

David

Dersingham Valley.

Carnivorous Sundews in The Mire.

‘John Denver was here’.

Deep in ecological thought, err no, deep in the mire of airport baggage reclaim.

The Royals Station at Wolferton.

Thanks David for organising such an enjoyable run. Brilliant routes, both there and back, a very tasty and reasonably-priced breakfast stop and all three walkabout destinations were fascinating.
Oh, and the sun gods were shining on us too !!.

Brilliant day out. Many thanks to David for organising the trip and the weather!