14" to 15" a good idea?

Currently my beloved Mk1 is on original 14" alloys desperately in need of a refurb, with 185/60/14 tyres.
Very tempted by the wheel/tyre package offered by MX5Parts, with the 15" alloys & top quality tyres.
My only concern is will there be a noticable difference in terms of ride: handling, steering, tyre noise etc?
Anyone experienced the difference between 14" and 15" wheels please?
Molly front view|690x460

Going from 14" to 15", I could certainly feel less tyre sidewall roll.

I’ve regularly swapped from 14 to 15 to16 on a MK1 and no issues really. I’ve experienced a far more noticeable change in ride and handling etc. when swapping from old to new tyres, or from street to a track tyre, than you notice with the wheel size switch.

I swapped my 14’s for 15’s when I had a Mk1. Best mod I did to that besides new suspension. I fitted Rainsports to the 15" alloys so the grip and handling was pretty good. Do get decent tyres when doing the swap, you won’t regret it.:+1:

also from experience the range of tyres available for 15s is a lot more than for 14s.

I also swapped from 14” to 15” when I had my mk1 it drove perfectly well on them no problems whatsoever.

If you do swap, the mk1 is extremely sensitive to unsprung weight and too much or wrong offset will upset the handling (but look cool). Make sure you don’t go to something that is over 15lbs per wheel, ideally less. The mk1 Daisies are 12.3lb, the mk2 5spoke sport are a nice option made exactly for the MX5, only 13.1lb and cheap second hand plus not a silly offset
(link to wheel weights table: https://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html)

Great! Many thanks for all your replies, that’s really useful to know you’ve all had positive results from the change in size. Think I’ll go for it when the purse strings permit.

Just upgraded to Meister R Zeta CRD coilovers, so the wheels are next, money permitting :}

Don’t do it, the original are what the car was designed for, and since I changed to 14 inch from the 15 inch which were on the car when I purchased it 12 years ago, it’s like a different drive. More responsive, better handling, quieter and more comfortable. Spend your money on a set of mini lites, I did and well worth the choice.

I agree - it depends on what sort of driving you are doing, but if it is purely road use and you are not driving like “like a boy racer” (I am sure girl racers are also available), then the 14’s will be more comfortable. I thought about this when I got my NA and decided to keep thMX5 - 3 e originals with some decent tyres and it was great… there are loads of nice 14’s around…

Yes, that was my concern, the car driving differently. I’m in no rush so I think I’ll keep an eye out on the 2nd hand market fr a nice set of 14 inch: BBS or Minilites would be good. Cheers.

Nice set of BBS there.