17 inch wheels on a 1.5?

Anyone got any advice on fitting 17 inch wheels onto a mk4 1.5 engine? they have 16 inch as standard. most adverts advise to only fit 17 inch wheels onto 2.0L but wondered if anyone has done this on a 1.5

Fit fine. No issues at all.

@AndrewT243
This is my 1.5 2016 with 17" alloys

1 Like

17 x 7.5 et40 215/45/17

1 Like

Can 18inch wheel go on to or they to big and best sticking with 17inch

You could go 18’s I guess, tyres become a bit rubber bandish! Cosmetically and practically the rubber band thing isn’t for me! But everyone is different. :+1: Not sure what your wheel choice would be like in an 18 too! :man_shrugging:

We use a Rota 17x7.5 on the race cars with an MRF ZTR tyre, they work for us! :ok_hand:

I’ve always liked the the 17" Recaro alloy shame they didn’t make them a tad wider and with more offset! They do really suit the car, have you bought these then or just looking at them?

There up for £500 but I just don’t know what to do yet

this is my car just got it a week ago

1 Like

They do suit a white car, there were some on my race car donor car when I got it!

There very nice

is that your car mate and are they 18 inch

It is my car, altho it looks a bit different now, and after many more hours work, will be different again very soon!

No standard 17" Recaro Alloy.

1 Like

send pic when your all done mate

1 Like

@AndrewT243
OK?
Lots of replies for you

Ah just the thread I was looking for! Sorry to resurrect! I was also wondering about going from the 16 to 17 on the 1.5L ND, mainly because was looking to go up in tyre width a bit to 215 or maybe 225.

On that note though I was wondering if there’s anything stopping me going to 215 on the 16x6.5? Have been finding mixed messages, looking at a lot of equivalency tables it seems 215 might fit onto the 6.5 rim anyway but have seen others say should really not go above 205, somewhere on the forum (can’t remember where/who) posted a slightly complicated formula showing that the max for a 6.5 was 213mm so the 215s were no good.

Have a look here Tire Width for a Wheel/Rim Size Chart (tyresizecalculator.com) it offers some information that may help.
The other thing to pop into the equation is rolling circumference so as not to have your speedo too far out. This Tyre Size Calculator/Tire Plus Sizing Calculator - Tyre Dimensions for Plus Sizing has a simple calculator to help.
It is worth thinking about what you are trying to achieve or change, is it looks, grip, handling etc. Bigger wheels and tyres do not always mean performance enhancement is guaranteed. Spend in haste and repent at leisure is always a good moto.
:heart:

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, seems like they reckon 215 fine on the 6.5

Ha spending in haste is certainly something I’m prone to doing. Definitely not repenting for getting my 5 tho, best pandemic purchase so far!

definite improvement - these are nice wheels and suit the car.