195/50/15 - For Sprinting - Kumho HS51 still the best?

Hi, 

I’m currently on 14’s running Sportrac 5’s. Moving to 15’s to get a bit more rubber on the road and also a wider tyre choice. 

Car is used mainly for Sprinting. Sprints allow you no time for the tyres to warm up, they need to be grippy from the start. You only do 1 or 1.5 laps, so again, the tyres never warm up. 

I would like tyres that offered more grip than the Sportrac’s. Other cars running RSR tyres, seem to be able to push it much more in the dry than I managed on my Sportracs. 

We will drive in the rain, so a wet track. So it needs to be decent in those conditions. Again, bearing in mind that the tyres need to operate cold.  We don’t really Sprint in the torrential rain, but might occasionally drive the car on the motorway in such weather. 

The car will also be taken on Track Days, so needs to be able to withstand a bit of heat and not melt!

Based on all of that, is the Kumho HS51 the best bet? 

Thanks

R

No, go for either Michelin PS3 or uniroyal rainsport 3’s. I’ve used both, and the hs51’s, and the hs51’s are not  as grippy. (good road types though)

PS3 cost more but last longer

RS3 better in the wet, but slightly less precise in my opinion.

Thanks. 

Uniroyal’s likelihood to melt on a track day makes it less appealing. The PS3’s seem expensive. But look good. 

Anyone else?

Suggest you contact NickD, forum tyre expert.