1991 MX5 Mark 1 Special Edition British Racing Green (UK Market Car)??

54 is not on the register yet so that’s one more we know has survived !!    I recognise the car , it was on E Bay a while ago and I actually phoned Bill for a quick chat as I had a mate who wanted one (only because I had one and he loved the wheels )  - however when I told him what mine cost to get in it’s current condition he changed his mind (and  actually bought a new ND in the end !!)     Good to see the OZ alloys are still on the car inc. the caps !!  Keep us posted on progress or PM me if you need any specific advice etc . 

Thats very kind of you!

At the moment, just going to insure it and drive it about until its been serviced and ive got an idea of whats what with it.

Reading here and Freelance seem to have a good reputation so i think its in safe hands with them!

Ursicles, if you wouldn’t mind please let me know how you find Freelance Mazda, I was planning on a run down to them in the next couple of weeks with number 167 to put together my own ‘shopping list’ (which I think will be reasonably extensive…).

Will get my own added to the special editions register when it’s back from a (partially aborted) wheel refurbishment next week.

Edit: FYI with regards to car value, 167 is at 68k miles and in ‘fair’ condition. There is some rust in the usual places to deal with and the paint is in poor condition, plus a long list of minor gripes, but the car is mechanically sound and the interior in good original condition. After some discussions with the insurer I have agreed value at £3500 before any works. Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean I could sell it for that but it’s a data point to consider.

Will do!

Going to see them monday so will feedback, but only ever read good things about them :slight_smile:

Well took the little green machine to Freelance today, and bar a rusty caliper and a knackered indicator stalk - clean bill of health! New indicator stalk Mark is going to fit on friday for £80 (inc the part!).

Car needs a new roof (which i knew about when i bought it), and Mark pointed out that when it was changed previously a mk2 hood was used, so need to rectify that soon.

Big thumbs up from me for Freelance - £204 for full service inc cambelt and brake fluid change.

So my shopping list now is:

• New roof
  • New tyres
  • Wheel alignment

Trying to find a good deal on all the above now :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update – sounds like a great result. Think you picked up a bargain there!

Will try and drop by Freelance in the next week or two and see what they suggest for my LE. My own list is already about five times the length of that one… starting with at least one new wheel. Might buy a lottery ticket this week!

Continuing the discussion from 1991 MX5 Mark 1 Special Edition British Racing Green (UK Market Car)??:

Good afternoon. Great looking car! We have one of these Mk1 limited editions, no 154. It has been in our ‘extended’ family for most of its life & was given to one of my sons about 10 years ago, so was a great first car for hi in his youth! It’s been in store & SORN for the last 3 yers but just out now. It has a immobiliser which drains the battery, but apart from that starts a treat & still nips along with that great rear wheel drive push and lovely short gear changes. It has failed its MOT, as we expected, nothing engine wise but needing welding due to some quite extensive rust on the underside offside near the rear wheel arch. When we got it, it had been garaged for 18 months and had water sloshing around above the sill, due to a blocked drain near the top seatbelt fix, so sadly the rust had set in on the inside. So we will be doing that and a few other bits to get her back on the road for a summer of fun. The wheels are looking rather sad, no scuffing but the chrome on the ‘spokes’ and rims has flaked & corroded. Yours look as if they have been resurfaced and left a steel, could you advise of any contacts who could assist with this? A couple of pics attached, N

![IMG_4065|666x500]