1992 uk mk1 se

I believe this one is quite rare though, so bear with.
It actually started 22 years ago when we purchased a 1993 UK Mk1 MX5 SE from Twickenham Mazda. It was out of budget, but sat in the showroom gleaming and my wife had to have it. It came with a private plate - 8297 MM - but that was transferred when we bought it and it went back to L394 WGF. We loved that car, but had to sell it when our eldest was born. That was 20 years ago and I don’t think it’s on the road anymore.

I recently sold my 987.2 Boxster S and have been bouncing around on what to get next, it was my 57th car and for once, I’m stuck where to go next - coupled with Covid meaning I’m hardly driving, it seems daft tying up loads of funds in a car. But while browsing eBay last week, a Mk1 MX5 SE popped up with a half decent description. I kept an eye on it, and it slowly crept up in price until the auction finished on Weds. I stuck a bid in, expecting the price to shoot up in the last few mins, but it stayed put and I won it for less than I hoped!

Collected it today from a nice chap who’s had 3 SE’s, this was the last of his and has a Boxster at the moment, so perfect seller really. He told me there are only 34 of these left on the road - if that’s true, it explains why I’ve had trouble finding one for sale.

The car is a 1992 UK SE, so Black and Tan with a few (very few) options to make it a limited edition. Supposedly only around 200 were built for phase 1 - 1992 (J/K reg) and another 200 for phase 2 in 1993 (K/L reg), with the 93 getting different wheels. Apparently this was the first UK model to be offered in Black and came with PAS, ABS and wood kit. They were really generous with their options in 1992!

It’s not perfect, but seems to be pretty solid for a Mk1 - the sills were done in 2017 so that should be ok for a while, the hood is watertight and generally it’s straight, although paint is crazed on one rear wing and it needs a small patch repair to the front outer wing

It still has the original wheels with a new set of tyres, tonneau cover, full tool kit and a wind deflector. A few bits of paper work and a service booked stamped up to around 70k (now on 112) and a couple of more recent service receipts.

Had some fun on the way home, stopped for fuel and the door handle refused to work - either from the outside or in, so had to clamber across and get out the passenger side. Once home, took the trim panel off and copious amounts of WD40 seems to have solved the problem.

The interior is relatively original. It’s had a face off stereo fitted with some JBL tweeters on the A Pillars and some 6x9’s have been fitted on the rear parcel shelf and partially hidden under the carpet. It looks a bit rubbish so need to figure out how to improve it
The original steering wheel has also gone missing over the last 28years and a Momo one put in its place. I want to find an original if possible and get rid of the Momo one. I don’t think this is an original one, happy to take advice on that though

Got a few jobs to do - the washers don’t work, no sound of a motor either so probably just get a replacement. Someone has fitted air horns at some point which don’t work very well - very asthmatic so I need to figure out where the original wiring is and hook up the original. I’m struggling with this from an initial view as I can’t figure out where the wiring should be. The Green/red wire from the original horn has been joined to the air horn wiring, so wondering if the original horn is dead?

Needs new wiper blades, couple of bulbs, some new centre caps and a deep clean inside and out.

The plan is to do these few bits and enjoy it before the next MOT. See what comes of that and then treat it to a Mk2 hood with glass rear window. I could spend lots doing paint etc, but I just want to enjoy it for what it is and eventually it will become a weekend car when I make my mind up what to get next.

I had forgotten just how small these are compared to modern motors. It drives really well with a raspy exhaust note and brings out a smile, even on the M25! I got overtaken by a X5 and felt like a truck was passing me.

Any hints or tips on horn wiring or changing the washer motor most welcome!!

6 Likes

This shows the steering wheel that was originally fitted

3 Likes

That is very nice indeed, i really like those wheels! I’m pretty sure I saw this on eBay a few days ago (i just can’t remember seeing that steering wheel) so it’s nice to see it in the club either way!

I agree totally about the steering wheel, that defo needs changing for an original one if you can find one. Is there some gauges fitted where the clock would have been originally?

Regards the washer jets, i highly recommend getting some Ford Maverick ‘mist’ jets, these are around £8 each off eBay and a huge improvement, i bought and fitted these a few weeks ago on mine. Literally plug and play!

EDIT: adding to generous extras, those ABS and SE badges were all part of being an SE. Posh! haha

1 Like

Yes - this was on eBay - was very surprised to find one.

Had more time to go over it today - the paint damage to the rear wing is worse than I thought - was hoping a deep cut and polish would help, but it’s badly crazed and feels rough in places so probably an old repair. Need to find a friendly painter at some point to do the whole panel as I don’t have a garage to try it myself, but not urgent

Fixed the horns - the air horns had been connected where the left horn was, the right horn was still there - found out the original horn was knackered and no working so robbed a horn off my sons Impreza and got it working ok. Have disconnected the power to the air horns so will remove those when I can figure out how to get to the bolts!

Looks like I need to replace the cam cover gasket as well, noticed oil down the sides of the engine and the oil level is low - another job to add to the list. 1st up I need to get myself a torque wrench from the ‘how to’ guides I’ve found on google.

Quick and simple job was adjusting the headlight covers so they now align with the bonnet - small things make all the difference!

Also removed some additional wiring from the battery while I was at it.

No opportunity to take it out for a spin today as the lovely DVLA want to back date the tax until 1st Nov - so may as well wait until Tuesday and get a full month!

Thanks for the tip on the washer jets - have ordered a new pump as there is no sound coming from that so suspect that’s died. Only a tenner so worth swapping over

1 Like

How did you do the headlight covers, was it a simple case of just lifting/pulling them upwards? I saw on a youtube video a while ago with someone pulling them up but wasn’t sure it could be that easy!!

Rocker cover gasket seems standard on these, mine was the same when i bought it, oil everywhere and a complete mess - been nice and dry since, got a genuine gasket from MX5 Parts, wasn’t worth the risk getting a non genuine one when they are so cheap!

For my headlights, I was just able to pull the rears up - you can adjust more as well - i followed this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBmhvm8LLNs

Thanks for the recommendation - will check out MX5 parts

1 Like

Just found this old sales leaflet for the SE. Interesting, it lists different wheels to Richard’s post?
Enjoy your car!
Peter

2 Likes

Thanks Peter - that looks like the 93 model we had originally, the “release 2” as i’ve seen it referred to.

I’ve also noticed that the gearstick boot has changed in my car, its currently black and should have been tan - something else to add to the list! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad it was helpful, happy to send scanned image files if you message me your email address ?
Peter

Thanks for the link, i’ll have a watch as mine do need adjusting

Yes have a look at MX5 Parts, i’ve spent a small fortune with them and they are always very good with quick delivery

What a beautiful car! I’m starting to warm to the MK1’s so much more with the wood and tan interior.

Correct I have brochures of both releases. The one I posted is SE1

Not the best photo but I seem to have that wheel on my Vspec, must have been changed previously but I will say it is so comfortable and feels like a touch of class too.

A simple job, that in turn has created another job

Replaced the wiper blades today as the originals were green, crusty and split with some black friday bargains from ebay - £6.63 for a pair

|https://thumbsnap.com/oMpzof3b

But the nice new blades now highlight just how worn the wiper arms are, to thats another job to add to the list

|https://thumbsnap.com/gACREC2T

Not a huge amount of updates on the actual car yet, don’t have a garage combined with trying to finish house renovations means that finding time to do the jobs on the car is not easy.
Still managed to have a few local drives and it always brings a smile to my face with the cheeky sound of the Magnex exhaust

I have been buying some parts though, so hopefully i can get some time over the xmas break and the weather will be kind to me

New OEM cam cover gasket from Mazda for the princely sum of £19.56 - all the advice provided and everything i’ve read suggests the aftermarket ones just don’t seal as well, or don’t last very long and seeing as the OEM was only about £8 more, it seemed like a false economy. Have got the gasket sealant to go with it as it needs 6 spots to help it seal correctly
Have also purchased a replacement washer pump as mine still doesn’t make any noise at all, so likely the pump has failed
and also a couple of replacement number plate bulbs - £2.40 for 2 - last of the big spenders!

I’m trying to track down some new centre caps, but struggling to find this design - one of the caps has most of the lugs missing as well, so may just have to go down the more modern Mazda logo if i can’t find replacements

Lastly for now - anyone want to swap a steering wheel? As i mentioned at that start, the current Momo wheel is not the original for the car and the wood is darker than the gear knob and handbrake lever, so it would be great if anyone has one they would like to swap? (You never know unless you ask!)
This is the current Momo wheel fitted

And this is the sort i’m looking for

Finding correct wheel centres can be a real pain. Spent ages looking for my Dakar. I found a selection on eBay but without the mazda logo.
You need to check the exact dimensions of the hole in the wheel and find a blank to fit.
Then look for a stick on label the correct diameter, there are silver on black on eBay or you could find a label maker to produce them for you?

Hopefully these photos give you a clearer understanding!
Good Luck!
Peter

1 Like

You can get custom made gel dome stickers made from here: https://www.stickersinternational.co.uk/

All you’ll need is a decent image to upload.

Managed to squeeze in the cam gasket change today, between the rain showers!

Followed a great set of simple instructions found on miata.net and took my time as it’s been a good few years since I last got my spanner’s out.
The day I got it home I saw oil around the engine block, the photo doesn’t really show quite how ‘wet’ the existing gasket looked

Removing the cam cover and looks like it had pretty much failed everywhere. There was oil on all surfaces and had dripped down into 3 of the spark plug holes

Looks like the current gasket was an aftermarket one, it’s not as substantial as the new OEM one and doesn’t have the raised profile on the underside. Hopefully this will do the job. Cleaned the cover with brake cleaner, removed the old gasket sealant and applied new stuff before refitting and tightening up

With the rain holding off, thought I’d better take it for a little journey, my first with the roof down, so a good chance to test the wind break too.

3 Likes

Great work there, hopefully this genuine one will sort the issue - the gasket on mine was just the same when I bought the car, i can only assume it was a non genuine one, but oil was everywhere and so bad, it was at the extent of being on the belts, therefore flicking up and had stained a large section of the underside of the bonnet. An utter utter mess - but since the genuine new gasket went on, i’ve never had an issue!

1 Like

Another job ticked off - the washer jets are working!

I’m not actually sure what cured the issue as I was digging around with the wiring. I undid and cleaned up the ground on the wiper motor with a bit of sand paper, I also cleaned the contact block to the wiper motor and undid the white multi ground point buried under the ABS pump, took the blade out, cleaned out the contacts with some brake cleaner as there seemed to be quite a bit of dirt in there.

Also plugged in the HDR22 relay that I found unplugged, so not sure exactly what solved the problem, but I have working washing jets again so I don’t really care! :grin: