1993 Series 1 1.6 - Main Beam blue dash light constantly 0n

when I turn on the headlights the pop-up headlights elevate very promptly and the lights come on , as does the blue light on the dash .

But I am unable to turn the blue main beam off ( normally pushing / pulling the column switch does this )

1 ) Is there a relay that might be responsible for this fault ?

1. Could you tell me how to dis-assemble the steering cowling to get at the combination switch to see if a connection has come loose and can be tightened ?

2. Any other suggestions please ?

Thank you in advance

The switch might be worn out. Rmove the steering column trim (2 screws), 3-4 screws on the underside of the cowling to remove. The two halves will seperate. You then need to remove the steering wheel. From memory, the comination switches are retained by a few screws.

MX5parts sell a replacement, (if they had any stock), but it is a bit expensive (so used might be preferred). But the photo shows how the stalk are a complete unit

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/steering-column-multi-switch-airbag-early-mk1-p-799.html

You might be able to remove the switch and clean it. I know this is a fix for US airbag switches, but not sure about non-airbag versions.

Thank you S

That’s really useful … much appreciated