1994 Eunos Roadster V Special 1.8 automatic

Hi everyone.

I recently bought my second Mx-5 on 4th August.

My first foray into MX5’s began in February this year when I bought a 2ltr NC automatic. Unfortunately, due to an accident when it was parked, (shunted from rear) it was written off. However I was determined to carry on!

I’m very pleased with the condition and driveability of my new-to-me MK1 Eunos Roadster and I’ll pop a few photos on this post.

5 Likes

Very tidy! It makes my daily-driver ‘95 version look shabby!!
How do you find the auto experience?

I find it very responsive and smooth.

It also has the overdrive button (I’ve yet to try this feature)!

Relaxing, is how I find it (my son had a 1.6 manual, so I can compare!!).

Do you mean the ‘hold’ button on the gear selector? You can drive it like a manual transmission with that (timing has to be pretty good in ‘L’); it makes twisty B-roads good fun in ‘S’.

Yes I do mean the hold button, it comes up with that on the dashboard but is written as o/d on the lever.

My gear selection is labelled as P, R, N, D, 2, 1

I presume the numbers would work in the same manner as your letters! I did purchase an owner’s manual however since it doesn’t outline the automatic gearbox I’ve been reading the owner’s manual for my grandpa’s 1990 H reg 323f executive as that had the same gear layout.

I have the same problem with gearbox information, I have found out (internet rumour?) that they used the same gearbox as used in a London Taxi (MetroCab would be the correct vintage for that broad-brush term?).

My box is labelled up
P-N-R-D-S-L

The hold button allows 1st to be held in L, 2nd to be held in S & 3rd to be held in D.

Thank you, that’s very informative. It’s also helped me work out why mine ‘beeps’ when I’ve put it in reverse - I have come to the conclusion it’s because it doesn’t go through neutral first so it’s a little warning to know you’re about to go backwards!!

For anyone thinking about this vehicle. I have owned a V-Special Auto since 2013 and it hasnt put a foot wrong the auto box is great, 3-speed plus overdrive, so effectively 4-speed. This combination means its a much better motorway car, as its lower revving, so has longer legs​:+1::wink:

2 Likes