2004 MX-5 1.6 with a blown head gasket

Hi all,

Unfortunately, as the title says, the head gasket on my mx-5 has blown leaving less than 30% compression in 3 cyclinders.

I am based in Oxford, and am either looking to sell the car as is to some-one or find a garage/someone to fix this problem for less than the £1000 the garage has quoted me!

If anyone would like to buy the car, or recommend where I could get it fixed, I would really appreciate it. 

Sad day for me but I can’t afford to fix it at this time.

Thanks,

Robin

Sorry to hear of your problem Robin, I would have thought your best course of action would be to source another suitable cylinder head from an MX5 breaker such as Autolink (Andrew) or MX5Revive (Brian), buy a new cambelt kit and cam-cover gasket, oil and filter and new Mazda coolant and possibly a new inlet and exhaust manifold gasket. Then find a local mechanic with a good reputation for not ripping people off who will replace the head and gasket for the right kind of money for you. The old cylinder head can then be checked, chemically cleaned and skimmed (up to 15 thou by Mazdas own workshop figures or up to 40 thou if you go by Blink Motorsports limits) and then re-sold to offset some of your costs. 

Dr. Eunos Geek

Robin, on your doorstep !!!   Brian Holden - MazdaMan of Bicester, located behind the GULF petrol station on Buckingham Rd,  mobile: 07770 815537.    There that was easy wasn’t it, rgds, Paul H, Bicester.