2005 mk2.5 Icon 1.8VVT keyfob reprogramming

Hi all,
I have had my MX5 since September and it came with only one key and remote fob.
I decided to buy two additional remote fobs with blank keys and had them cut.
I reprogrammed both fobs and they open and close the doors etc no problem.
The keys will unlock the steering lock but will not start the engine.
I have read that it is to do with the transponder code which is in the original key.
Is there a way to get around this or to have the two new fobs capable of starting the car?
I am in the Bradford/Leeds area.

Please help.

Dax

The usual arrangement with the MK2.5 car is separate remotes, specifially - visteon 41703 that are programmed to a remote unit Visteon 41607 that sits behind the glovebox. It is easy to program new visteon 41703 remotes if requires.
The metal keys are separate and house the transponder chips that are programmed to the immobiliser and ecu. Original keys have a moulded rubbery plastic top that incorporates the transponder chip. All three of these - ecu, immobiliser and transponder chip need to be associated for the car to start.
The problem with the MK2.5 car is rolling security. Each time a key with transponder is used, the data on the transponder is updated. This precludes the use of clones as after one use the clones would become useless. Cutting to the chase, this means that if additional transponder keys required, the transponder would need to be programmed to the ecu/immobiliser. This is likely to involve a Mazda dealer and will cost around £150 - 200.

I can program transponders for almost any car where about are you?

Easiest and cheapest solution, fix the one good chipped key under the steering cowiling inside the antenna of the transponder reciever ( I cable tied mine ). Then you can use as many unchipped keys as you want. I had 2 unchipped keys cut for a tenner.
I know some will question the insurance and security ramifications of this aproach, but regarding theft, most theives I would imagine are aware that the car has an immobiliser system linked to the key, so no one, in my humble, is going to try and steal the car using a good old fashioned screwdriver in the ignition…just my tuppence worth

In Bradford.

try this guy , he did a friends at work

I feel I have to mention a few things to the OP, Daxss.
You finished your post asking for help with “please help”.
4 members, myself included, Rhino, a respected and knowledgable member, and others have all offered advice on your problem and tried to help.
You have replied to all the lengthy posts, from member who have given their experience and advice freely, with two words " in Bradford".
Being a fellow Yorkshireman, born and bred in Wakefield, I can assure you that I was brought up to have respect and be polite, two qualities which you have not exibited.
I for one shall not be offering you any more advice in the future.

Hi all, sorry I asked the question then work has overtaken me so (preparing for company lockdown and self isolation procedures :frowning: ) I have only just had a chance to see these and to decide on what to do for the best.
I am living in Bradford and obviously very Yorkshire but am even tighter than that as I am originally from Scotland!!
All the suggestions are really good.
Currently I am just living with the fact that I have the original key and use that to start car. The mixed key fobs I purchased from eBay are the correct ones for the car and the blanks in them will open the doors and turn the ignition lock but not start it.
I think I will probably look at putting in a stop/start button and therefore look at the key in the shroud.
I just wanted to try and see what the best plan of action would be.
Thank you all for your help. I do want to be a productive part in the group and amalways open to advice and help and I will try and help where I can too with me limited knowledge and skills.

The car was my wedding present from my wife with a view that I was going to either do it up and sell it or strip it down, build a kit car and sell it…but I have to be honest, from the moment I picked it up and drive it back from near Colne back in September I have absolutely fallen in love with it.

Good on you for coming back to the comunity. I felt your earlier response was a little short, but will always try to help a fellow Yorkshireman…no matter where we live !

Thank you…I am sorry I peed some of you off…defo not intention. However, is there any pics of those that have done the start button update/ key hidden under cowl? If this lockdown takes place it is certainly something I will be looking at unless of course my boss continues to say I am a key worker and no isolation For me lol

No pics, sorry, but the key under the cowl is so easy and evident when you get in to it, that it shouldn’t take you more than 20 mins. From memory, three screws holding the cowl in place, the “antena reciever” either just slides off the ignition barrel, or is held in place by one screw ( I can’t quite remember ). Put your one good working key inside the “hole” and cable tie in place. Cable tie this assembly to the wiring loom under the cowl. Replace the cowling with the three screws.
The only difference you will see is that there will be a space around the ignition barrel where the antenna used to live.
job done, two working keys for a tenner.
Let us know how it goes.
Bon Courage

Thanks am gonna look at that. Also just bought another stylebar which means I can keep my windblocker with speakers in.
Selling TT style chrome that I bought 2nd hand last year but didn’t fit because of windblocker…so now looking to get money back on that. £30 collect or £40 posted… More projects lol