2007 MX-5 2L Sport starting problem

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2L Sport hardtop
  2. I’m based near: __Gloucester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __car won’t start when garaged for 3 weeks approx.
    Car owned from new in 2007 and has done approx. 45,000 miles. It is regularly serviced. Since lockdown I have been walking instead of driving so car has been left in garage quite a lot. It would not start after 3 weeks in garage and I had to trickle charge it overnight. The battery is about two years old. Could the problem be with the alternator?

Nope just needs using more often.

3 Likes

…or being left on a battery maintainer when it’s not used; CTEC or Optimate for example. Plenty of threads on here about them.
JS

1 Like

Beware that if you have let the battery go completely flat it may have damaged the plates and so you could find that it will not now be as good as it was and could let you down again. You may end up replacing the battery.

1 Like

Thank you fir your input!

:+1: thank you

You’re probably right, thank you. Thought I would try and lose some weight during lockdown!

Hi Poppy 2
I also have a 2007 2L and had the same problem. When I looked into it at the beginning of last year, it still had the original battery, not bad for 12 years life. I replaced it, with some difficulty finding the same physical size, but still experienced the same problem when it was left for more than two weeks at a time.
As others have said, a good run every week or so, or the use of a maintainer, resolves the issue.

Hi Poppy 2,
If you look under Electrics and Ice, there is a lot more on this topic.
I have to run my ND weekly, or put it on a C-Tek battery conditioner when garaged. Seems to be a common problem - just do not let your battery go flat too often, as advised above. Good Luck
Elaine