2007 NC1 my soon to be reborn 1.8 roadster

You have a PM from me 

Barrie

I’ve just listed the old wheels in classifieds? £200 including the wheel nuts and lockers.

Barrie

These wheels sold yesterday. Thanks

So, after my excitement of getting my new wheels and fitting them to the car, I’ve settled down to more mundane tasks of getting the body prepped prior to the vinyl wrap? My understanding is, that it’s as important to get this right, as it would be for a paint job? With that in mind I bought an assortment of products to help me do the work. Isopon plastic bumper filler for the many holes left from the OEM front number plate plinth and front Mazda badge. Filler for aerial delete and rear boot mounted Mazda badge, stopper for the many tiny chips, applicators and some fine mesh to bridge the rear of said holes, various grades of wet n dry, panel wipe etc.

When I took the aerial out, I discovered when I unplugged the little electrical connection, that it takes a standard aerial plug, straight into it? One screw disconnects it from OEM aerial base. So I’m thinking hidden aerial tucked away where the Jack lives? It will just smooth the lines of the rear of the car? Don’t know if it will work but  worth a go? 

I went to upload the pics to postimage and there is an internal server error message and pics fail to upload  as soon as I can, I will get them added here. TBH just pics of filler applied to various holes at the moment? Wanted a break while it goes off so thought I’d post up on my progress? 

Barrie

Very brave of you doing all this Barrie, I couldn’t do it to mine.

I’ve started mine, well sort of. To get me going I’ve ordered some primer spray paint…well it’s a start.

I have though been putting up loads of shelves, sorted my tools out and generally cleared the way in the garage for work to commence. Anyways that’s another thread sometime.

Looking forward to the updates.

Doubt that an aerial within the bodywork will be at all effective. The metal bodywork will screen the aerial. In the murky distant past I remember an aerial sysytem that used the heated rear window element as an aerial. Might be worth investigating. Might also be possible to use a stick on aerial on the windscreen.

An aerial inside the car might work too. Maybe a discreet beesting type aerial in the general area of a windblocker. With the cloth roof it won’t be screened in the way a standard saloon would.

When I bought my NC the previous owner had fitted a stubby aerial which worked well for him down south where all the required stations were a short distance away. Up in rural Lincolnshire things were a little different. The stubby allowed me to pick up 9 stations. Reverting to the standard mast brought in 27. All depends on what you want to pick up where you are.

I use a stick on windscreen DAB aerial. So far, despite going through some Oxford country lanes on a couple of occasions (not out in the sticks, really), and throughout all of S. Wales, I’ve not had any dropouts. In fact, it makes my FM aerial redundant - the FM aerial is cr*p anyway, I think the unit is shot hence my looking for a DAB radio in the first place.

Thanks guys! I’ve put the aerial into the Jack area, connected back up. It’s working but I understand the potential problem? I’ve ordered a powered, amplified “concealed” antenna to see if that works? No going back though now, forward into the unknown is the only direction 

Anyone else having issues with postimage? Just been back in there and same issue, " internal server error "  As they say, a threads no good without pics! 

Barrie

When the metal of the rear wing rusts away and is replaced with filler reception should improve.

P.S. Don’t thank me for this ‘helpful’ post. I don’t deserve it.

A few pics of the start of hole filling 

boot lid Mazda badge

Front bumper Mazda badge

Number plate plinth holes

Drivers door mirror

These are from earlier today when I was having problems with postimage? They look a lot worse now? Only kidding! A bit more fine filler in a couple of spots and they’re done.

Barrie

Postimage working for me Barrie.

And me now Mick! 

Barrie

looks like your out of practice barrie with your bricklaying skills Wink

jokes…

good job m8

i too think your VERY brave to do this …i know it will be epic . 

Hey, I don’t have to post on here to get insulted Geoff?  It can happen anywhere  Must admit those pics do look bad mate? Nothing that a body shop couldn’t put right though?  Having sanded and filled and filled and sanded, I’ve just put a skim of fine filler on to harden  overnight, then back at it tomorrow  the more I look at the paint finish, the worse it looks when you really get close? The car really did need some work doing? The BBS centre cap badges came today? I know, they’re replica wheels so why not replica badges? 

Also this came?

Brand new, OEM fuel lid, direct from Mazda, £21 delivered, bargain! Going to swap out the chtrome lid ( which is looking a bit tatty) and having this wrapped in carbon effect? The paint, which I guess is primer, is actually quite good?

A step into the right direction? An improvement on this afternoon 

Barrie

Hi everyone, while waiting for the impending leather interior to be fitted and the vinyl wrapping, I’ve still been on with sanding and filling? Just been doing bits as the mood has taken me? Fitted the amplified, concealed antenna inside the rear drivers side wing? Jury still out on that one  this arrived though this morning though?

Inside was this

This

This

And these

So, I thought I would fit the brace bar bracket in picture 2, first. No instructions from mx5parts, nothing unusual there, so searched on the Internet and found the ILMotorsport instructions which included the fitting of the bracket prior to installing the brace bar. Mine being a base model, it never had the bracket in the first place? Ironically, it did have the fittings for one on the suspension tops? Oh well, never mind 

Instructions showed 4 bolts that were all easily accessible so off I went! 4 bolts removed and it was not shifting? I could feel that the rear bonnet seal fasteners were pushed through the top of the bracket so prised them off next. Nothing doing, I then found 4 more bolts along the bottom edge of the original bracket, comparing this to the same holes in the new bracket? After a bit of a faff, I realised that in the engine bay these bolts screwed into captive nuts from above I then proceeded to remove wiper arm, complete scuttle panel and the triangular plastic panel along the front passenger side (under the scuttle panel). This allowed access to the four 10mm bolts, a couple of clips for pipe work undone, a bit of a jiggle and the brace bracket was out?

Easy enough in reverse and then fitted the brace bar itself. Bolted both suspension top mounts in place, followed by the middle section that fastens to the brace bracket ( remember that bit?) then the two diagonal sections, all lined up perfectly! The only downside is, these bars are designed for left hand drive, so the built in brake " stopper " is on the wrong side! 

Really nice quality item though, well finished and fits perfectly!

Barrie

i heard on news about the chap near leeds winning the euromillions a few weeks ago…

" it wasn’t me guv, honest!" 

Barrie

Barrie,

You are only young once.

I’d just go a bit daft and consider a wee bit bling here and there to cheer things up.

You know you want to.

You know, I’m trying hard to resist that?  I’ve " dechromed " the exterior? mirrors, aerial base (well, the whole aerial actually) rear light trim rings, high level brake light cover, clear/chrome side repeaters, both chrome number plate surrounds, all the badges, front fog bezels and the door handle accents? I’m looking at doing the same on the interior, however, Mrs B has actually said that she likes the chrome on the interior? Wonders never cease  will wait and see what the interior looks like when SeatSurgeons have had their wicked way 

Barrie

Progressing steadily  started with some primer today. Here are a few pics so far. I have top coat too which will just be feathered in and wet sanded ready for the vinyl. Have to say, if anyone thought (as I did originally) that vinyl wrap was the easy option, think again? The prep is the same really as a re paint job on the car. Imperfections will show through so I’m being thorough with the prep, making sure I get all the bits done.

Ive also taken the (almost) last bit of exterior chrome off the car ( roll bar chrome covers ) the plastics for the roll bars are going to be wrapped in the carbon vinyl. Next thing, once paint is dry will be to sand down, use a bit of stopper if needed, the get ready for topcoat!

Barrie

looking good fairplay.