2007 NC1 my soon to be reborn 1.8 roadster

Hi everyone! I’m into my third year of ownership of my true red, base + option pack, 1.8 roadster and have been considering a revamp of the car for some time now? I’m a sucker for chrome bits and the car currently has plenty! Gotta love a bit of chrome!  but not anymore!

Anyway, in advance of the various cosmetic modifications, I fitted a seat heating kit to the cloth, non airbag seats and have posted up about that elsewhere. I’ve also had my steering wheel made into a flat bottomed one with retrim by RoyalSteeringWheels. Again, posted elsewhere on the forum.

When I bought the car, the 16" OEM 5spokes were a bit tatty so purchased a set of new 16" 10 spoke OEM style wheels in chrome alloy, which have been on the car since it came into my hands. These are now being replaced with a brand new set of 17" BBS RS replicas and a full set of matching tyres. Delivery on these is Tuesday (tomorrow) I had genuine BBS RS 071’s on the supercharged mk1 and absolutely love the style of the wheels? Having paid considerably more for those rims than I did for that car, I can’t afford to do that again so reps will have to do

Next job, the paint on the car is nice and bright but there are many little imperfections that really annoy me? Probably being  a bit picky there but it does bother me. So, the car is being vinyl wrapped at the end of the month, I will be doing a bit of sanding and filling as needed in advance of this. I’ve picked an Avery Denison premium wrap in cardinal red which is a pretty damn good match for true red! The bumpers/wings/doors/sills are going to be that colour with bonnet/windscreen surround/ boot/mirrors/ door handles/fuel filler cap being wrapped in a premium black textured carbon fibre finish. So, in preparation for that, I’ve been dechroming the exterior! So far I’ve removed the following;

• Chrome fuel filler cap
  • chrome door handle accents
  • Chrome aerial base
  • Chrome rear light surrounds
  • ALL exterior badging front and back
  • chrome clear side repeaters
  • 2 piece chrome door mirror trims/covers
  • Chrome high level brake light cover
  • Chrome front fog bezel trims
  • Chrome number plate surrounds
  • polished stainless upper and lower front grille trims
  • The chrome alloy wheels
Side repeaters might be smoked black to compliment the mirrors/door handles but undecided, I have my OEM Eunos ones, still, after all these years and they have black surrounds? Might put them on?

The front number plate plinth is going too, to be replaced with either a square offset one or a stick on one? cannot believe the massive amount of holes in the bumper created by the plinth? The front Mazda badge is in a recess, that will be filled flush, rear Mazda badge, two little holes to fill. 

Finally, interior, I had a go at wrapping the dash decor panels and the gauge hood in some glossy carbon fibre? The guys at the wrapping centre took pity on my efforts and are redoing them in the Matt carbon used elsewhere on the car. I’ve just paid for SeatSurgeons to do full leather seats/door cards/gear gaiter and handbrake sleeve. This should be in the car within 3-4 weeks too! I will post pictures as I go along as I want to record what I’m doing to the car? I’m hoping the seats turn out nice? Red leather backs/sides/bolsters with black perforated leather middle sections, quilted but in a " square " rather than diamond shape, still at 45 degrees though? Perforated black quilted door cards to match seats and red for handbrake and gear gaiter? White thread used throughout and GT logo’s in white embroidered into the seat headrests. I have two GT badges in white with a tiny chrome edge for the wings, the seat embroidery is being done to match these. 

Will update as I go along.

Thanks if you’ve got this far?

Barrie

Whit whoo! That sounds like the dogs danglies, Barrie! :smiley:

Looking forward to seeing the finished article - especially that interior, sounds delicious.

Cheers! I’ve sort of brought it all forward a bit, after losing the dog, I needed something to get my teeth into and keep me occupied? 

Barrie

this is going to be something special …cant wait to see it it the flesh barrie

Wow!

That’s some work going on Barrie, me, I’ve got as far as sorting my garage out ready for a very minor revamp of my Mk3. Must get busy again and get that SW posted off to Royal, that’ll be start.

Hope it all comes together, sounds very interesting Barrie.

Thanks Mick, yes, get that wheel over to them? You definitely won’t be disappointed  I’m really looking forward to getting all this lot together? I also, hope it works?  TBH, I’ve thought long and hard about the different areas of the car but, for instance, the wrapping centre had about 200 different colours without going to printing something, in different qualities with textures, smooth, gloss, satin and matt? It’s a bit daunting making a final commitment, hopefully it will work. I started with wanting vinyl on the sides and back of the seats as you don’t really see it on a 5? Unfortunately, the PU option is limited by colour so for very little more ive got full leather all over?  Everything done over the phone so far, so for anyone that’s thinking about this but is miles away, it’s quite easy to sort out remotely. I even had emails from Paul (the owner) on Sunday, confirming things, offering advice etc? Great customer service. I sent them a pic of the logo I wanted, no problem to reproduce it so all in all a bespoke service? Just need to be patient now? 

Barrie

I would  say if you put as much effort and detail into the car as you did the post it will look great ?? 

Barrie

lets see what happens then?  

Barrie

Tagged as a favourite thread. This is going to be a fun ride.

Here we go,here we go,here we go, looking forward to all the pics Barrie and there’s me going to buy some Tan Dye for my seats yes really splashing out for the summer and will try to paint the Daisys. Go for it matey I understand whats behind the decision, I to lost my dog Sat just gone 15y Liver and White Springer still seeing it, get a grip Rob. See you at a meet shortly, cheers for now Rob.

Oh dear Rob, sorry to hear about your dog? 15 years is a good innings but on the other hand,it’s 15 years of companionship etc? You’ll definitely miss that? Everyone’s back at work today in our house, apart from me obviously  and without the dog around to interact with, it’s been a bit ■■■■? So, I’m throwing myself into this project  Mrs B has remained quite calm as the Bettabuilda ££££’s are disappearing out the door?  I had to ring her at work to get the bank account password so I could BACS a payment to Seat Surgeons? I’m becoming more and more forgetful? Anyway she didn’t flinch? 

You at the caravan now mate? or will you be still coming to the meets?

Barrie

Barrie, a bit of tooing and frowing at the mo with dates on call and don’t forget the kids and grand kids need their fix of the des res. Will still make some meets give us a PM when you are coming and we will have a chin wag, Rob.

That would be great Rob  car is either going to be in a state of undress or at the wrapping centre/ seat trimmers end of March so will miss beginning of April meet, We’re away end of April for a week ( including Spring Rally at Goodwood so will miss the May meeting too!   It’s blooming hectic mate! 

Barrie

These arrived yesterday teatime?

Inside were these,

And these

Which ended up looking like this?

They look gorgeous.

These are for sale now, as I dont really have space to store them? 

Ive only took one of each as they are all same even wear on tyres and the wheels are all equally almost perfect condition? Will put them into classifieds.

Barrie

Love the new rims Barrie… Tempted with your old ones…

Nice wheels

a fine start