2016 ND Recaro Whining Noise Help please

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2016 ND Recaro
  2. I’m based near: Stoke-on-Trent
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Whining noise in 3rd gear

Hello everyone,
The car has recently developed a high pitched whining noise when accelerating between about 2k-3.5k revs in 3rd gear. No noise when in 1st or 2nd gear but possibly also present to a lesser degree in 4th gear but not sure if that’s me imagining it/being paranoid now!
I have owned the car for about 2 months having changed from a NC, the car has only done 13K miles, was serviced before purchase but had sat idle for about 9 months before I bought it. I have done about 1k miles in it with no other problem until this started about a week ago.
Any help on what it could be and a possible fix would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

2 Likes

In the first instance I would change the gearbox oil and see if that improves things. I suggest Miller’s CRX 75w/90 NT+ or get your dealer or garage to do it.

If You’re Looking For Expert in Stoke-on-Trent

Then C&S Haynes in Silverdale [Colin & Steph…O.C. Members]

But Form a Queue Behind Me Please !!!

Thanks for the details, will give that a try and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info, was thinking about tackling the job myself but with a recommended garage within 3 or 4 miles may well give them a call, once all your work has been completed of course! :grinning:
Steve

No Worries

My Girl is an NB 2.5 Icon with MOT Advisory Corrosion Issues

Colin & Steph did work on her in 2019 :+1:

She’s a ‘Work in Progress’ as Many of Her Age :face_with_diagonal_mouth: :hugs:

But I TRUST THEM as Experienced MX5 Owners & Club Members

Colin ‘Knows His Onions’ re MX5 and Steph Understands How Precious Us MX5 Owners Are About Our Cars

They Afford 10% Discount for MX5 O.C. Members

BUT…THEY ARE A BUSINESS

So We Can’t Take Advantage of Their Devotion to the MX5

Kindest

Does it sound a bit like a supercharger? if so I think it’s normal as mine does it too.

Transmission whine in an ND1 is pretty normal… As above if it sounds kinda like a supercharger then I wouldn’t worry…

Definitely change the gearbox oil in any case as this is quite important on these cars :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yes it sounds very much like an induction noise, will change the gearbox oil anyway and see what happens.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments, puts my mind at rest a bit anyway, just seemed odd that is suddenly started when it was fine before. Going to change the gearbox oil anyway as can’t do any harm. Thanks

Have booked my car in and also getting a 4 wheel alignment whilst there as noticed they do that too.
Many thanks again for the recommendation and hope the ‘Work in Progress’ advances nicely :+1:
Regards, Steve

On a similar note both my gearbox oil and diff oil were seriously under filled from new! By about 25%. Interested to see how much you get out.

1 Like

The oils will be changed this weekend so will update after that :+1:

1 Like

Hi there, I got about 600ml out the diff and 2L out the gearbox which I believe is about right?

1 Like

Hi there, I changed the oil at the weekend with your recommended oil and it’s a big improvement, the gearbox feels smoother generally and especially when cold and the whining noise is nearly eliminated, (probably 80% less noticeable ) just audible and no more now. Thanks again for recommendation.
Cheers, Steve

1 Like

Hi there, ended up changing the oil myself but did get a 4-wheel alignment from Colin and Steph on Saturday. As you said, nice people and certainly know what they are doing, will be using them for any required work on the car going forward so again thanks for pointing me in their direction.
Cheers, Steve

3 Likes

I’m glad it’s worked, I’d also recommend you change the differential oil as well, Miller’s CRX LS 75w/90 NT+ for that. A litre bottle will do for a .6 litre fill.

Just checking as it looks like you have changed the diff oil already. Did you buy the ‘correct’ oil for the diff or have you used the same grade for the diff as you put in the gearbox?
:heart:

I used a different oil for the diff, the Mazda Long Life Hypoid diff oil from MX5 parts.

I did do the diff oil as well but actually used the Mazda Long Life Hypoid diff oil from MX5parts.