2017 ND ST drain holes

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2017 ND soft top
  2. I’m based near: Ribble Valley
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Drain holes

I’ve recently bought a beautiful MX-5 and have read numerous articles suggesting to watch out for blockages in the hood drain holes. I bought the trombone brush and searched for drain holes (keen to check them as the car is 5 years old) but can’t actually see any. Does anyone have any experience/advice please? The car will always be parked on my drive but no overhanging trees. Thank you.

Just do a search for ‘Mazda MX5 ND drain cleaning’ in any of the search engines and you will be overrun with video choices on how to do it,
:heart:

1 Like

My nd is late 2015 & I clean the drain holes minimum once a year. As the previous commentator has said plenty on utube. You have to strip some of the internal trim on each side but it is very easy. They have a spongy filter in a cassette once you remove the cassette the sponge comes out easily & you give it a good clean. You do need to be a bit of a contortionist though but once you get used to it it is simple. I’ve never had to use the trombone thingy as once back in just run some water on the hood & look under the car & the water flows out. Two tips 1 try & make a mental note of the orientation as you lift them out. 2 don’t do it cold temperatures as you may snap the title tab that locks the cassette in. Once you do it a couple of times you will soon get it done, you do get quicker

I have started to clean my first drain basket today to check how they are (not had any problems with it). I have cleaned the first basket and sponge and out them back in, They were not too bad but needed emptying. I am now wanting to run something down the drain tube while I am there and have watched the youtube video of the guy putting some wire down the drain. Looking at my car, there is a push connector in it. The video does not show a connector there but not sure if he had just taken his out before filming.

My question is, if the clip should be there, how do you reach it to remove it and should it be left out for future access?

Photo attached of the clip (with the seatbelt pulled out).

Thanks.