2020 ND 2.0 - springs and headlights

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2020 ND 2.0
  2. I’m based near: Cumbria
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Suspension

Hi all,

New here. Picked up a new 2.0 soft top in November and I’ve started doing a few mods (naturally). Looking to get the Eibach Sport Pro springs as they seem a bargain considering how well they’re reviewed.

I know this has been discussed on here a few times but I can’t find a definitive answer; would the auto-dipping headlights need adjusted to compensate for the 30-35mm lowering? Some say yes, some say no on the later models. Anyone actually done it and can confirm?

I know BBR do an adjustment rod: can it be fitted to a 2020 model? Also, they’re having a laugh at thirty quid delivery. I’ve also seen a workshop manual posted on here but I can’t find the bloody screw!

I contacted mx5parts and they didn’t know, but I promised I’d let them know when I do. I’ve also got some rudimentary methods that will show whether they need adjusted after fitting, but that doesn’t fix it if they do.

Thanks all.

ND2 doesn’t have a physical adjustment rod it’s a software setting which you can do yourself by shorting pins on the ODBC port in a specific sequence or with a tool the dealers have.

Try lowering and then decide, some like to adjust, others don’t.

ND2 doesn’t need anything doing. ND1 does (i did the ODBC reset).

Those answers will do me nicely. Thanks both.

2 Likes

Hi H,
There is a manual level adjuster on all NDs. Have a look here Manual pages - MX5 Manual | Mazda MX5 (Mk4) 2015+ and you will see exactly how to check and adjust the headlamps.
The online manual I refer to is an excellent source of information and well worth making one of your ‘favourites’ for future reference.
:heart:

2 Likes

Arriving Monday so gonna give it a bash next week. Anyone know where I can find all the torque settings?

Was gonna pay for it done to be honest, but been quoted £300 inc. alignment and with a bike to service this month I can’t be arsed paying that.

Hi H,
All the torque settings are in the on line manual I referred you to under the relevant section.
:heart:

Lovely, cheers

Bit of a follow up question to this one…

Just bought some Eibach 15mm spacers, too. Should be a straight-forward job, but any MX-5-specific tips or quirks to look out for?

Cheers

No, but just be careful with your insurance as not all of them like the use of spacers.

2-3 week wait, not in stock in UK :tired_face:

@Mad_Malc thanks for sharing the link, very useful! Peter

Fitted the springs today. Not a bad job, about 4 hours in total. Alignment to get done later this week; it’s so off it’s actually comical.

Anyway, another (and hopefully final) question on this topic. 15mm spacers all round, will the studs need shortening? I could do without the faff. I’ve seen the question asked on a few threads and other forums, but never answered with regards to 15mm spacers.

Cheers

On an ND1 the answer would be no, on an ND2 i’m not so sure as I have seen an owner need to do it (not something I would be willing to do), can’t help more than that I’m afraid but just be aware you may get ND1 owners advising you don’t need to but it may not necessarily be the case for a 2020 car.