205 vs 215 or 225? Winter pressures?

I heard the NC is very tyre pressure dependant.

Recently I have had issues with traction, I’m running 31-32 psi all round and even trying to go up a hill with not that much throttle I was spinning the wheels. It had been raining but was unexpected. I run between 31 and 32 psi because of the colder weather.

Tyres are Avon VZ7.

Would 215 really make much difference? Could it be more of a suspension issue? Stock sport suspension.

Does any one run wider rears to the front and what’s the limit for the stock 7 rims in terms of width?

Just an opinion and you will be getting into a “How long is a piece of string debate” here.
I have always run the tyres at 29 psi all season no matter what the temperature or conditions.
Which, I believe is the recommended hand book pressure anyway.
Would 215 v 205 really make a difference in your circumstances? I doubt it.

1 Like

I had Avons on my previous NC, sorry but they had to go. They were getting past their best, about half worn though so not that grippy any longer.
Btw as said above, whatever the weather 29psi all round.:+1:

2 Likes

I run 29lb on my NC Miyako, wet dry, cold or hot. In the
last few months I fit 215 45 17 Goodyear Asymmetric 5 tyres and love them.

The new tyres improved overal ride quality, grip and the car handles better also, although some of that maybe because I had the car properly 4 wheel aligned on a Hunter alignment system.

The Speedo is also far more accurate against my sat Nav.

I hope this message helps.

Roy

1 Like

I was thinking. :thinking:
I got rid of the OEM Bridgestones from mine because they were appalling in damp/wet conditions.
Clearly, the compounds go “off” well before the actual tyre tread wears out on that brand.
I do know that others on here have experienced exactly the same problems.
Once changed to my choice of brand (another debate) no issues at all.
Like Mick states, he changed his and all sorted.
So perhaps the Avons react the same way as Bridgestone’s after time…
Good luck in sorting. :+1:

1 Like