25AE v 30AE

Having sold my 25AE a couple of months back (big mistake) I’m looking to buy another. BUT I really like the 30AE. I’m swaying to the later car on the basis the 25AE is coming up for nine years old and I have zero mechanical knowledge although I know they are pretty bomb-proof. The 30AE, I just like the spec and the colour but my wife hates the colour. Neither car will see much use (no more than 2k a year). If anyone has experience of both models, or can give an unbiased view, would appreciate your thoughts?

Honestly (as the owner of an ND1 Recaro), I’d go for the 25E, better paint, no likely problems with the rear bearings or potential gearbox issues. Paint on the NDs is stupid thin so they chip far too easily.

Thanks for the feedback. I had heard the Soul Red was very thin but didn’t know it extended to the orange

Pretty much as Gareth says. I love the orange 30th (soft top, not the sunroof version) but my mates 25th Anni is so nice plus the bonus of the folding hardtop. I’ve found the ND’s to be slightly annoyingly less practical too, but I’d be more put off by their mechanical known issues.

2 Likes

Edging to the 25AE which in all honestly wasn’t what I wanted to hear. Challenge will be to locate a pristine example

25AE FTW, but I am biased…

2 Likes

A 30AE would be twice the cost! Why on Earth did you sell the 25AE ? Everyone knows they are the best.

Yes, why did you sell it only to be looking for the same again 2 months later?

Wish I knew why I sold it too. Sometimes we make hasty decisions! I had been looking for a late, low mileage SL500 to a very specific spec. Eventually one came up. No regrets. Absolutely fabulous car but not the thrill factor of the Mazda on narrow twisty roads. Having two convertibles was silly, but the noise and torque from the V8 totally intoxicating. I’m sure I’ll get another 25AE as soon as the right one comes along. Just wish I could get a different perspective from a 30AE owner!

I do have some sympathy, over the years I have been in a situation where I felt I could afford & deserved a better car than an MX5. So first it was a TVR Griffith, sold after a while before it tried to kill me for another MX5.Then a 350Z, the wife hated it so it went replaced by another MX5, then a SL500 like yourself sold for another MX5 & finally an F Type which I lost a fortune on.
So over the years I have had 6 MX5s the latest being the 25AE which in my opinion is the best I have had.
But I have a GR86 due in February, test driving it next week, the Wife wants to keep the MX5 but we cant have both!

Don’t be fooled into thinking the NC’s paint is thinker/better than the ND, I can tell you 1st hand there’s not much in it and both cars have thin paint…

IMO the ND2 is the one to go for, definitely if its a weekend car as they are simply more engaging to drive (ive owned both so feel i can have this opinion)… Also much less worries with the ND2 (gear box for example) and the 30th is a GREAT spec although im not a huge fan of orange…

1 Like

You have my sympathy on the Jag. one could have lost more on a car than I did buying a new SL55AMG. Sold it with under 1,000 and a year old and loss would have bought a new MX5 at today"s prices. Vowed I would never buy another SL but this one is a different league in terms of quality control and build quality. Even performance. Good luck with the GR86 that seems quick delivery although I think Japanese cars haven’t suffered to the same extent with wiring looms and chips etc. I just took delivery of Cupra Formentor after waiting six months which I’m told was quite quick as a hybrid model is 18 months and beyond.

Much appreciated feedback. I’m just a sucker for the colour which is the main driver. Just think sports cars should be bright and colourful and nothing was more so than the Scandal Green Elise. Deal on MX5 might be concluded in next day or so.

1 Like

[quote=“Seal420, post:14, topic:135386, full:true”] Deal on MX5 might be concluded in next day or so.
[/quote]
Which one are you going for 25AE or 30AE?

1 Like

25AE, I think!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.