25th August Norfolk Fives Mid Week Run

Second of the mid week runs takes us to West Acre Garden then on to Castle Rising in the west of the county.
This run sees us return to the nursery and walled garden that is West Acre Garden (free entry). The initial run will take a bit over an hour to reach the garden. Although not the best time of year to buy plants from the nursery the garden may have some surprises for us and it makes a very pleasant spot for a coffee break or even brunch.
A short drive afterwards to Castle Rising, an English Heritage (entry £5pp / 65+ £45) managed site (members free), not to be confused with Castle Acre Priory which this group visited before. One of the largest, best preserved and most lavishly decorated keeps in England, surrounded by 20 acres of mighty earthworks. Building of the castle was begun in 1138 by the Norman lord William d’Albini for his new wife, the widow of Henry I. In the 14th century it became the luxurious residence of Queen Isabella, widow (and alleged murderess) of Edward II. Our return to Norwich will take just over an hour but some will peel off for a route direct to home.

Meet at 9.15am B&Q South car park, Neatmarket, NR4 6DW
Please reply to sign in for this run under this topic. I’m assuming that all will meet at above start, if not please advise.
David

Those signed up so far are;
David & Rosemary
Jilly
Laurie
Lesley Trett + 1
Richard W
Rona & Phil - joining at Hingham

At West Acre Garden and Castle Rising

1 Like

Hi Dave,
Could you add me to the list please. The late August weather might even turn out to be benign as a bonus.
Many thanks,
Laurie

Hi David could you please add Lesley Trett + 1

Many thanks

Jilly :slight_smile:

Hi David,

Please add me to the list. Thoroughly enjoyed last weeks jaunt. Richard W.

Hi David great to see the mid week runs are back. Unfortunately unable to join you next week as Gella has just got out of hospital after a major operation. Hopefully see you at the club next month and join you once again on the runs from October. Stay safe Mick.

Richard.
Got that & you are on the ‘list’.
David

Mick & Gella,
Mick & Gella,
Great to hear from you but not so good news that Gella has had an op. Hope this all works out well and yes look forward to seeing you later in the year. I have a run on 13th Oct to the Norfolk Tank Museum and a final one of the year on the 10th November. The latter date’s venue is undecided although originally I was thinking an RSPB or NWT reserve with coffee stop (of course). It’s rather a weather dependent date so I’m not rushing to fix things up yet.Take care you two.
Cheers David

Hi Phil and I will be there, thanks.

Hi Rona & Phil.
See you tomorrow at meeting place 9.15am.
However, I seem to recall you are Attleborough way, probably wrong, but even so check out the link for our outward route and if you’d like to join us enroute let me know. I’d suggest Hingham parking beside the ‘Green’ near the Tea Rooms. We should be there at about 9.55-10am.
If I don’t hear from you I’ll assume we see you at the start, B&Q South car park.
David

David

Hi yes we are in Attleborough, and will join you at Hingham, thanks.

Message received, ok. Hingham it is.

Thank you David for a smashing day out. Great drive, good company, brilliant venues, the best carrot cake I’ve ever tasted and lashings of sausage and mash with Phil & Rona at the Castle Rising Black Horse. Looking forward to the next one all ready. Richard W.

1 Like

Thank you Richard for the kind words. Rosemary & I enjoyed the day, it was a lovely bunch of folk to be with. The garden was the star visit for me. Next up the RAF Radar Museum on 8th September, I’ll open a new topic on this shortly.

1 Like

Thanks David for yet another brilliant day and for the large amount of planning effort you’ve put into it to make it a success. I think that I can say that we all enjoyed it. Ihe garden centre certainly deserves another visit once I have compiled a proper shopping list.
The RAF radar museum certainly sounds a very interesting destination for our next outing.
Laurie