30cm crack from bottom left of window towards center, replacement options

1. My model of MX-5 is: NB 2000
  2. I’m based near: Edinburgh
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Windscreen replacement

Just noticed this. Was not there before track day so I suspect it was tiny and all the banging around has caused it or me binning it into the gravel chucked up a stone and cracked it.

Doubt it can be repaired as it’s coming from the very edge of the screen.

This car is only really used for track and I only really spend money on maintenance, so no crazy race spec stuff. Just good cheap fun!

What would be the cheapest way to getting the screen replaced? I’ve seen prices online ranging from £160 for the screen and £240 for screen + fitting. I can’t imagine getting a used screen is easy, do they tend to break when removed? I did look at polycarbon screens but £550 is a bit steep for some moulded plastic imo.

I’m also not sure it’s something I want to tackle myself, plenty of nightmare stories out there of it going wrong/being poorly done.

Does your insurance include glass replacement? It might be that the excess on that will be cheaper. I think mine is £100 if glass can’t be repaired.

Claiming for glass also shouldn’t affect your main claims history on your policy, but check with your insurer.

They might do but was kinda on the fence about insurance as I was not sure if it would affect the premium. Will have a look.

It should be a separate excess, but always worth checking!

Looking into this a bit more it seems the crack may actually be caused by flex? It’s odd the crack starts from the very edge, no signs of impact. I never thought the window frame itself would be able to do that.

Is that possible? If so, anything I can buy to reduce flex in that area?