5th & now 6th (šŸ™ˆ) MX5 & the beginnings of a Rocketeer build

I got myself a new toyā€¦a label printer.

I have about 4 weeks until I get my Electronics Pack, so I thought iā€™d get one step ahead and label everything up so that a) it goes back together easily and b) if I have to at any point diagnose any electrical issues, itā€™ll be easier to isolate the issues.

So I got underway printing out the wiring labels and gave myself an important reminder :smiley:

Imgur

Imgur

Unfortunately - especially considering the gorgeous weather - iā€™ve managed to get myself to a place where I canā€™t do too much. The bushing pulling plan didnā€™t work, and as iā€™ve got to get the new bushings in properly, I think iā€™m going to have to get a press.

I also need to order a Jaguar starter motor - an oversight on my part. I wrongly assumed as I was getting a built engine from Rocketeer, it would come with the starter but I didnā€™t check and I canā€™t mount the gearbox on to the engine until the starter is mounted. Hmmph.

You should get a deerstalker, I am based in Surrey! Genuinely if Iā€™m headed your direction Iā€™d love to have a look, where abouts are you based just on the off chance?

1 Like

Iā€™m right next to Rutland Water, in Empingham. Beatiful place for a day trip!

To mirror the genuinity (is that word), would be great to have you come visit - in all my years of mx5 ownership, I never really got involved in the club - itā€™s one of my big aims!

Andrew

1 Like

Blast! If Iā€™d known that I would have swung by today. A chum and I went to a car show at the Rutland showground at Oakham.
Quick question, are you talking suspension bushes?
If you are, have you tried heat to release them?

Oof, that is a long way from my stomping ground. Still you never know, for now will continue to watch the updates roll in and maybe meet you at a drive out at some point.

Question on another topic, you mentioned I think that you have kids, how did you justify buying mx5s to your significant other? Having bought one, Iā€™m now struggling to justify it any way other than ā€˜Despite what you might think, I assure you that I want it more than you want new hard floors in the house.ā€™

Yeah, I was going to try and head the outside metal up to boil the rubber, but iā€™ve heard contrating opinions on how good an idea that is! Have you done it?

And shame I missed you and that show! Still, next time youā€™re up this way, let me know :slight_smile:

Ah, well my situation is a bit more complicated. They arenā€™t actually my kids, and we live seperately at the moment. My partner has three including twins so I try to stay away as much as possible :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

In all seriousness, even when we do live together sheā€™s happy with me having whatever I want because she too is a bit of a car/racing nut, iā€™m lucky! As long as we have some dull SUV to transport everything else around!

Ah, fair enough, that does seem to be a bit more flexible situation than mine, two kids, one with an ex and one with my wife. Lots of demands on my minimal free time (and cash!)

1 Like

Yes. I actually broke a threaded bar trying to release the untouched bushes. They were stuck in tighter than a stuck thing from Stucksville.
I bought a cheap gas torch from Motosave and applied a modicum of heat to the metal. The bushes pressed out really we easily after that. :+1:

1 Like

Ah fantastic, iā€™ll give that a try before buying a press then! Thanks :slight_smile: If you save me the Ā£200, iā€™ll buy you a beer!

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Nice one :beers:

Are you using the threaded bar, washers and suitably sized socket technique?

Well, I tried.

The situation now is that the nuts on both sides of the bush are siezed still and the bush didnā€™t move!! So iā€™ll probably cut the thread, and go with the heat method. Although, iā€™ll probably need to use a similar technique to get the new bushes on I guess? Itā€™s either that or a press for refitting iā€™m imagining?

Extracting old cold-welded metal bits is always a lot more difficult than inserting the new parts.

I remember how a workshop in Nice needed their biggest 50 tonne hydraulic press to extract the wheel bearing from my old Mk2 Zephyrā€™s rear hub, but pressed in the new one with a simple manual fly-press.

This is why a bit of heat or a gentle strategic tap with a lump hammer can be miraculous, because it breaks that cold-age-weld.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard.

Iā€™ll get a blow torch then, are they all made the same? Iā€™ve never used one before!

Pressing the new bushes in is easier.
Put them in the freezer over night before you do the job and use a little hand soap from a dispenser as a lubricant.
I could nearly press mine in with my hands doing that way. With the threaded bar it was very easy :+1:

Google Photos

Thatā€™s the kit I used. I remember a little oil on the threaded bar and nuts helped too.

Hth

1 Like

Great, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did my bushes 2 years ago and a pal at work made me the perfect removal tool - a piece of aluminium scaffold tube about 4" long but turned down to just the right internal diameter. Iā€™m happy to post it to you if it helps (as iā€™m not doing that bloody job again :slight_smile: ). I used threaded rod and the big washers from the long bolts in the front upper arms along with couplers (like nuts but over an inch long so they wonā€™t strip their thread) to wind each old bush out of its socket and into the ally tube.

PM me if you think that might help.

2 Likes

Well, thanks again to Martin, a very kind offer! Looking forward to giving that a crack.

Unfortunately, as I pointed out at the start, I can be a moron haha. I didnā€™t fit the Jaguar Starter Motor before mounting the engine. So last night, I had to lift the engine again, fit the starter motor and then wiggle the engine back in to place. Anyway, that is now done thankfully and hopefully I wonā€™t need to lift the engine again!
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

As you can see from the above photos, the rear of the starter motor protrudes in to where the gearbox housing would ordinarily be located. SO on to the only bit of cutting needed in the Rocketeer build (excuding me sawing off my bumper which wasnā€™t in the instructions :smiley: )

Using a 64mm hole saw attachment for a drill, we need to cut a C-Shaped section out of the bell housing. Rocketeer supply a template (after a fashion!)

Imgur
Imgur

My Sunday (after a mammoth trip to to Nottingham on Saturday with 3 children, to look after another 2 children! :smiley: :() is going to consist of doing the following big jobs:

• Fit the new PPF
  • Fit the gearbox to the Rocketeer engine
  • Tighten all of the subframe and engine mount nuts.

Martinā€™s tool has arrived, so if I can stop locking the nuts to the threads, im hoping I might be able to get all of thoe old bushes out too!

Imgur

Hope you guys are well,

Andrew

1 Like

Also, SEATS.

I was going to buy some classic relcining style bucket seats, however my mind keeps coming back to Lotus Elise seats for a few reasons:
They fit
Theyā€™re light
They look nice
Iā€™ve always wanted a Lotus

However, they are hard to find in good condition - does anyone else have any thoughts?

I already sold my seats as they were very spongy and provided me with about as much support as Piers Morgan does Meghan Markle. I am going to be taking this on track a few times a year probably, so I want something with more support than stock but I donā€™t want full bucket seats because a) I like to not look like a **** when I buy petrol and b) iā€™ve got MS :smiley:

Iā€™m going to put a wanted ad up for Lotus Seats and see what happens, but in the meantime if youā€™ve got any experiences or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

Andrew

3 Likes